Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Gettin' the heck outta here!


We couldn't wait to leave town and head to St. George for the long Memorial Day weekend! We've had a terribly cold Spring around here and I couldn't have been more READY for a vacation. If there was any way I could have skipped the last day of school and left earlier... I WOULD HAVE! However, I don't think the kids would have appreciated that.


I got all the gear packed up and ready. Leaving for just 4 days does not seem to cut down on the amount of stuff you have to take. It's like camping overnight... but it's worth it!


3 clean outfits for each kid- check. Hiking shoes and flip flops- check. Swimsuits and goggles- check. Hoodies and pjs- check. Snacks for car and treats- check. Leapsters with new batteries, DS charged- check. DVDs and laptop for the car- check.


Friday night we arrived about 7:30 pm. We basically got pizza for dinner, settled in, and watched TV. The kids stayed up until 11pm- they thought it was the best day of their lives! I had my phone turned off and no appointments for the next 3 days- I thought it was the best day of my life. Jared had a remote in one hand and a Mountain Dew in the other- he thought it was the best day of his life!


Saturday morning I went for a beautiful run along the bluff which runs parallel to St. George Blvd. It was such a gorgeous view and the perfect temperature. Loved it. After I came back and we ate some breakfast, we headed to the Farmers' Market at Ancestor Square. It wasn't too thrilling (to be honest) but we enjoyed the Life is Good store there. We walked over to the Brigham Young Winter home and took a nice tour. We learned a lot about St. George and why it was named that (after George Albert Smith) and why it was founded (to plant cotton for the settlers in the West) hence the area was called Dixie, which I never knew.


Brigham Young's home



This is one of the best views I saw all weekend...  taken whilst I lounged at the side of the pool, looking up at the palm trees. Aaaaaaaaaah!


Olivia loved the free wi-fi at the hotel... how else would she keep in touch with all her friends via gmail?! I think she updated them about 3x/day!


After swimming for a few hours and having lunch, we headed out to the shops. 


You can tell the boys had so much fun!


The kids were so excited about their new things...


How I love a girl whose heart can be bought for $3.50!


Olivia got a much-needed suit. Last year's suit was falling off her, it was so stretched out! She did a little modeling session for me at the hotel.


Austin loved the hat and hoodie we got him at Life is Good. He got a hat like this for Christmas but it unraveled and we couldn't fix it. When he saw this one he was ecstatic to finally replace his long lost hat!

After shopping, we worked up a big appetite and decided to go to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. We had never been there before and had heard rave reviews. We don't typically go for that type of fare, but since we were on vacation we went for it. I have to admit that although my steak and sweet potato were delicious, I just didn't enjoy the ambience and the rest of the food very much. I don't really see what all the hype is about??? But that's just me!


Love the scenery of Southern Utah


The next day we went to Snow Canyon and hiked around. We found this fossil stuck in the wall of a cave:




Love these cute kids so much!!!






Back to the pool to cool off! The weather was gorgeous- about 85 degrees and sunny every day. We loved every minute of it. 


I love the fact that my kids enjoy swimming! Austin and Olivia have been confident on their own for many years now (benefits of our time in Australia). But even Ashley became more independent on this trip; she's never been afraid of the water, but now she can jump in and swim 4-5 feet underwater on her own. I love knowing that they are all capable in the water.


On Sunday we went to the St. George temple grounds and visitors center. We watched the Mormonads and walked around. Olivia had a run-in with a door and almost lost her little toe. A huge piece of skin was pulled off and I have to say she handled it well. She's a tough girl. It wasn't pretty.


On Monday we relaxed by the pool all morning and reluctantly checked out of the hotel around 12pm. After a poolside lunch, we headed over to this park at the center of St. George. The kids had such a blast!





It was hard to head home. Our 4 days was so fun and restful- I didn't want to come back to real life. I guess that's a sign of a great vacation!


5 comments:

Chantel said...

What a fabulous weekend. Makes me miss St. George. I haven't been there in years.

Jill said...

I didn't know any of those historical facts about St. George.

I'm glad you got away and were able to enjoy the heat and the town. Whitney was very happy to babysit Spike for Austin, so feel free to call on her services again.

Britney said...

That sounds like an awesome vacation! I'm extremely jealous. It looks like you had a great time. The only thing missing was......me! :)

Great pics. Your kids are looking so old!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow....what a great weekend....soo relaxing and the pictures are just amazing. I love the ones of the kids alone and the one with you and the girls.....sooooo darling. I guess the weather was pretty good too right?

Diana said...

I love all your perfect days! So good to appreciate the small things.
St. George is beauitful. what a lovely trip!