Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mini Thai Reunion

Last week I had the chance to get together with a few friends from my mission in Thailand. Lindy, Jamie, Leah, and I met for lunch at Thai Lotus in SLC. We had a small feast and talked about old times and new times.


LEAH AND LINDY

I can't believe it's been 10 years (actually almost 11) since I got home from serving 18 months in Thailand. It does seem like a lifetime ago... yet at the same time, I think, surely I can't be THAT old! But I am. Just the other day I was speaking to a woman who, I would guess, was about 7-8 years older than me. When she said something about "people our age" I sort of did a little silent gasp, thinking, "Do I look that old?" Now, I am sorry to admit this, I realize it may not sound kind. It's not that she looked so old, it's just that I feel so much younger. Argh, does this happen to you? It's like my life is going on and this whole aging thing isn't quite sinking in.


ME AND JAMIE

As I sat there with my mission friends, I thought about how young and naive we were back then. We hadn't had children, hadn't experienced marriage, bills, buying a home, sickness, being out of work, losing children, etc. You know, all of the stuff in life that we get to experience now. Yes, some of those bring a lot of joy and some bring some heartache. And it's tough. Life is hard. I think it's only been the last few years that it's really sunk in for me- this isn't easy and I can't expect it to be. We're supposed to grow and learn and be challenged. That's the whole purpose of our life. Yet many of us (including me) think that it should be smooth and easy all the time. That things should always go our way and we have a nervous breakdown over every little bump in the road. Here's a newsflash: There will be lots of bumps. Once in a while, there might be a smooth patch- that's what you get to look forward to and enjoy it; it's a blessing.

It reminds me of a few talks I have heard by Sheri Dew. She's good at this concept. In her book, If Life Were Easy, It Wouldn't Be Hard: and Other Reassuring Truths, she says,
"If you're serious about sanctification, you can expect to experience
heart-wrenching moments that try your faith, your endurance, and your patience."

It's not that this little reunion with my friends was depressing for me, it wasn't. It just got me to thinking about time and aging and the stage we're at in our lives. I enjoyed sitting and talking with them and having this bond between us- our wonderful experience in Thailand and a love for the food, people, and country, as well as the gospel of Jesus Christ. Since our days in Thailand we've gone from being young girls to being women and mothers, we've grown up.


CHATTING UNDER THE SHADE OF A TREE

After our delicious, and very filling lunch, we talked outside under a tree for a while before we all headed off, back to our homes, our lives, our responsibilities. Far, far away from a beautiful place called Thailand.

4 comments:

Lindy said...

It was so fun to get together. I can't believe it's been over 10 years--but at the same time it feels like a lifetime ago. Probably because, as you say, we were young and carefree...and now we're just old and not so free-of-cares :) One thing that hasn't changed, however, is our love of Thai food!

Laura said...

You look like a college girl to me. I know what you mean about growing up though. I wouldn't go back for anything....

It's weird as you get older you don't feel older. I feel the same.

Brian said...

Just reading this makes me want to visit Thailand. You all look the same as I remember---oh maybe a little wiser and experienced. Wishing I was in Utah just so I could catch up with all of you and eat great Thai food.

Heidi said...

Robyn I loved reading your thoughts and reflections. You are wise beyond your years. Lets just hope the smooth patches are longer in between those bumps!