Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Flexitarian Diet



So have you heard of this new book? I can't wait to get this one. It's called "The Flexitarian Diet: The Mostly Vegetarian Way to Lose Weight, Be Healthier, Prevent Disease, and Add Years to Your Life" by Dawn Jackson Blatner. She is a registered dietician in Chicago and has written a great book with lots of recipes and tips on how to decrease the amount of meat you're eating and add more healthful foods to your diet. I love this concept! This is basically the way I believe we should all be eating. On her diet, an 'expert' Flexitarian eats about 9 oz of meat per week, total. That's 5 days of vegetarian eating and 1-2 days eating a small portion of meat. If you're not to the expert stage, an 'advanced' follower would eat 3-4 days of meatless meals and about 18 oz of meat per week. A beginner might have 2 meatless days a week and about 26 ounces of meat. I think following this diet plan to any degree can bring benefits to your health and your life. I am dying to try the "Indian Spinach Pita" that was featured in the USA Today article about her book. Yum, looks tasty. I wonder if she has any recipes with pumpkin?

Pasta with Mushrooms and Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Sauce



1 lb. uncooked penne pasta
1 T. olive oil
5 c. shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 c. onion, sliced vertically
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. fresh sage
12 oz. can evap. Milk
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 T. cold water
1/2 c. gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/8 tsp grated nutmeg

1. Cook pasta according to package, keep warm. 2. Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic- cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover, Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally. 3. Combine chopped sage and milk in medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Combine cornstarch and water, stir with whisk. Cook 2 minutes or until smooth and thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. 4. Add pumpkin, salt, pepper, nutmeg. Add pasta and pumpkin mix to mushroom mix-toss well. Garnish with sage sprigs.

8 comments:

michelle said...

Shut up. This looks so yummy! Pumpkin AND gorgonzola?? Maybe I could have my mushrooms on the side since Marc doesn't like them...

Lindy said...

I can't wait to make that pasta--wow. The book sounds awesome--I think we're flexitarians without even knowing it :)

Cecilia said...

Hey girl...you're making me hungry with that gorgeous picture!
This pasta sounds and looks delish!!!

Laurie said...

I think I've subconciously been moving toward flexitarianism for a while now. I'd heard the term, but didn't know it was based on a book. You're so full of good resources!

That pasta looks excellent.

Jamie said...

I can't wait to check that book out! Thanks for sharing.
and thanks for sharing all the pumpkin recipes. I bought some pumpkins to start trying some of the main dish courses. My mouth was loving all the baked goodies, but my waistline is killing me!
You need to have your own pumpkin recipe blog!

Diana said...

that book looks good. I'd like to read it. I'd be in the begginer with 2 small portions of meat, I'm not a huge meat eater but not ready to give it up completely.

Heidi said...

The book does look interesting. I'm not the biggest meat eater either esp. red meat. And I have to agree anything with pumpkin and gorgonzola has to be divine!

Bond Girl 007 said...

this looks amazing. i am going to tryit.
thank you for sharing