
A couple weeks ago I read about Peyton on Kim Sue's blog. Peyton is only 8 and has advanced brain cancer. The one wish she has is to receive mail every day until she dies. I told my kids about it and I mentioned this to Austin's teacher, since they are practicing writing letters in class. So she had the whole class write letters to Peyton! I can't wait to send it out today with our letters. I hope it brightens Peyton's day. You can email me or Kim Sue (at 4kwise at bellsouth dot net) to get Peyton's address and bring more happiness to this sweet little girl.
Last night Jared got an email from a BYU Rugby friend. His 9 year old daughter, Jane, was diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia in August. In September, she was admitted to Primary Children's Hospital in SLC, where she is now receiving a highly toxic form of chemotherapy, which will hopefully clear her bone marrow. She will be there for about 6 months. After all of that treatment, she will still need a bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately, none of her 4 siblings have tested as positive matches.
I am not sharing these stories to depress you. I am sharing them because 1) This could be any one of us. So today please be thankful for your own health, your children's health, your spouse, your parents, your nieces and nephews, etc. 2) I am sharing in case you want to do something to support these two girls and their families. To send Peyton mail, please contact me, or Kim Sue at her email address. To support Jane, you can attend a benefit dinner/auction at Thanksgiving Point on October 22nd at 7pm ($100 plate) or email the Foote family at (sean foote at rawkks dot com).

PUMPKIN CRANBERRY MUFFINS
2/3 c. craisins
1 1/2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. ginger
1/2 t. bkg powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cloves
1 c. sugar
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. light brown sugar
2 T. canola oil
1 egg
Mix first ingredients from flour through cloves, in bowl. In mixer, combine sugar through eggs. Mix well, about 3 minutes. Then combine two mixes on low speed, just until combined. Fold in cranberries. Spray muffin pan. Pour batter into muffin tins. Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove immediately from pan. Cool on racks.
Source: Sneaky Chef
8 comments:
oh my it's always so sad to hear about terminally ill children. Sorry it's 2 children you know.
Thanks for letting us know about the benefit.
Thanks for reminding us to be truly grateful for the health that many of us take for granted every day. I am so sad for those families and wish them them strength. They are in my thoughts and prayers
I feel so sad right now I am almost speechless. I wish the best for them and for their famillies. I need to remember this post when the boys are so frustrating to me that I want to pull my hair out. I need to go upstairs and kiss my sleeping boys one more time.
oh my goodness, it breaks myheart to hear these thigns, but it is soo nice and happy to hear that you can do something to help out. I would love to send Jane a letter too...if you have that address..what an adorable little girl....all little children are just adorable.
Thank youfor this post because all inall, you are right it is a blessing to have healthy children, and to know that we don't know what will happen in the future.
That is heartbreaking. We have a little girl in our ward who got leukemia when she was 4. After a year of being in and out of the hospital for treatments, she was in remission. But now, after just barely being able to attend school and primary again, they are concerned that it might be coming back.
It really does make me so thankful for my children and want to hold them tighter.
Thank You Robyn for this post.
I'm going to look at today differently.
makes you want to hug them tight and never let go! thanks for spreading the good mail cheer for Peyton...I know she will have a HUGE smile on her face when she opens that envelope with letters from all those kids!
I think this has got to be one of the most unfair things in life. Watching kids struggle is heart breaking. It's amazing how the internet/blogging has allowed us all a way to help and give back. I think it's wonderful you took the initiative to talk to Austin teacher. I'm sure she will love all those letters.
Post a Comment