My kids have been enjoying books this summer too, though not as much as I'd like. We did make it to the library a week or two ago, so they've had a nice big stack to read and believe me, we've read them often! There are a few I can't wait to take back. But there are a few they really love, so I thought I would share them and recommend them for any of you who have kids or just love children's lit.

A Bad Case of Stripes, by David Shannon. We already love many of his books. If you have read Parts, Duck on a Bike, or Alice The Fairy (one of my favorites) then you know he has a talent for writing children's books and has a unique style of illustration. This one is very cute. I love the fact that the main character loves lima beans but she's afraid to tell anyone b/c everyone knows you're not supposed to like lima beans!

The Acrobat & the Angel by Mark Shannon, and illustrated by David Shannon. Based on a French folk tale during the time of the plague, a young boy named Pequele loses his parents and grandmother and comes to live at a monestary. It's about his love of acrobatics and a miracle that happens. I didn't expect my kids to like this one, but something about it draws them in. Austin even said, "Mom, this is a really good book."

Lastly, The Crocodile Blues by Coleman Polhemus. Again, I didn't expect my kids to love this one so much. The whole book is in 4 colors: blue, black, white and yellow. The illustrations are very simple and there are no words at all. Ok, a few sound effects are written in, like "crack" "zoom", "thump" or "clap". It's very cute. Olivia has made me read it 100 times. She likes to remind me that you have to use your imagination since there's no words.
Anyway, thought you might want to check out these cute books at your library. Also, I love giving books for birthdays, so if you have a child you need to buy for soon, you might want to consider these options. Enjoy!
10 comments:
The lima beans remind me of Luci, she is like that with broccoli. I love the look of your blog . . .haven't stopped by in a while!
Thanks for the reviews, I love finding great children's books...I also think they make great gifts for kids. I love David Shannon also. I can't wait to get the others!
Thanks for the suggestions. I love finding new books for my kids. Those look really cute. So if you just finished a Book Thief did you read About a Boy?
I love going to the library with the kids it's the best place to "test out" books. Thanks for your reviews.
That comment from Alli was actually from me -- I didn't realized she logged in before me. But I'm sure she loves your suggestions too!
Heidi, that's so funny b/c I was thinking, "Wow, Alli really is getting old if she's calling her siblings 'kids'!"
Oh my goodness that acrobat one looks soo fun. I collect children's books...i share them with the kids, but they are mine! The illustration has to be JUST RIGHT and the story too! How fun I loved this post!
Thanks for the tips!
I've been going to the library with the kids every wednesday this summer and I'll for sure look for these books next time we go.
Thanks for the book reviews! My boys love David Shannon, especially David Gets in Trouble. I'm excited to check out these other books!
thanks for the book ideas! I loved The Book Thief. If you want a page-turner, try The Shadow of the Wind.
Post a Comment