
I just have to post about my great new running gear- an Amphipod hydration belt. I have been looking for a while at the Nathan and Fuel Belt brands. Both came highly recommended. I basically wasn't ready to buy one yet and didn't really think I needed it. Now that my long runs are getting up to 12 miles, I definitely need some water, gels, etc. when I run.
Jared and I went to the Runner's Corner in Orem a week or so ago, and talked to one of the guys there. He showed us this belt- I had never seen it before, and showed us why he likes it. He said he runs with it. Then, on Wednesday, after I took my in laws to the airport, I stopped at Wasatch Running in Draper. There was a really nice girl there who was very informative- and she also runs with this one. I can't remember if there was a price difference between this one and the others. They all run around $35-40.
I ended up getting this belt with the 4 bottles and a pocket. I got the medium (size 2) so Jared and I could both use it. Let me tell you why I think it's so much better than the other options.
1. You can run with all 4 bottles, or you can take off some to run with 1,2, or 3. So for a short run, I can customize it to only have 1 bottle on it- or even take off ALL of the bottles and just use the pocket for gels/beans and my ID when water/gatorade is being provided at a race. This is the #1 feature in my opinion since the other brands don't do this. This was the main reason I hadn't bought a belt yet b/c I couldn't decide if I wanted one with 2 or 4 bottles. I hated being locked into one or the other...
2. The bottles can lay horizontal or vertical. You can switch the way the bottle holder sits on the belt, altering the way the bottles sit.
3. The way the bottles click into the belt is much easier than the other two brands. I think Nathan is the next best option b/c the holder is firm plastic, so sliding the bottle in isn't too bad. However, I find the Fuel Belt really annoying since the loose elastic bands which hold the bottle make it difficult to put it back in while running. On Amphipod it's so easy to pop it in.
I am sure some of you runners out there love your belts and would disagree with me. I am just posting this info b/c I know there are alot of you out there and you might be interested to hear why this one is a good option. I got to test it out on Saturday, on my 12 mile run. I took 2 bottles with me and had 2 in the car. I drank a few ounces every couple miles and it was perfect. I finished the other 2 bottles on the way home (we ran the Jordan Parkway behind Thkg Pt golf course). I also had a Power bar in the pocket and took a couple bites every 20 minutes or so. I had a great run.
4 comments:
I will always know who to contact for the latest in running gear... you seriously are amazing!
Thanks for the tip! What an inspiration and example you are!!!
Do you think you could put Diet Coke in the bottles?! If so, maybe I'll get one just for running errands around town. hee hee hee
Ok I think you have to be a real runner to purchase one. Your definitely an inspiration to me. Perhaps one of these days I'll have to buy one. I wish we lived closer because I could really use some encouragement.
Post a Comment