Sunday, May 25, 2008

Haircut, Creative Friday, Weekend

Warning: Self Portrait follows. (I am not a fan but sometimes it must be done)



On Thursday I got my haircut- a much needed cut and color. (I really hate self-portraits but Jill is always telling me I don't do enough and Hannah said be sure and post the haircut, so here it is. Britney and Heidi- no making fun of me!) Not a drastic change, but It felt so good to have all the dry ends cut off and some fresh color put on- get rid of that gray!! Jill was very nice to watch Austin and Ashley while I was at my appointment. They were SO excited to go to Jill's house, even though Landon and Whitney weren't even there. Olivia was at preschool and I had Austin home from school because he needed a second Hep A shot (so they excluded him from school until he got it). They called me the day before to tell me- apparently they really check those immunization records you give them. So after my hair appointment we headed to the Dr. to get his shots done and updated Ashley at the same time. Turned out she needed 4 shots- yikes. I hate doing so many at one time and so did she! She really screamed and kicked. It wasn't pretty (or quiet) but when I told her she got a sticker she recovered pretty quickly, especially when she saw it was Cinderella.

Friday I had my own little creative day. I didn't have anywhere to go, so I told myself I was going to be very productive. All those projects and things I needed to finish- this was the day. First I got out my birthday banner to finish. I had all the pieces ready to go, I just had to sew them onto the binding. It was so fast and easy. I loved the lime green binding (thanks Britney) and I decided to stitch in orange just for fun. I loved how it came out. I also added some ribbon ties at the ends b/c I wasn't quite sure how to secure it or tie it up. I guess you could just use tacks on the ends, but I thought it might be easier and more versatile to have ties.





Next I hemmed some jeans that were way too long. It annoys me to no end that I have to hem ALL my pants. But whenever I bring this subject up, inevitably there is a tall person there to tell me "at least you can shorten them" so I guess that is true. I used to buy my jeans at the Buckle just because they did alterations for free. It's a good perk if you ask me. You just have to find jeans you like there- not always easy.



After the jeans, I worked on the bedding that I volunteered to do for the juvenile detention center. A lady in our ward organized this service project and is putting them together. I just had to sew fabric together to make two 90x70 pieces (top and bottom) which would then be sewn together with batting inside for a comforter. The fabric was donated, just in case you thought I chose this lovely rose pattern. It was a little harder than I realized b/c the pieces were so large and for the rose top I had to stitch together three different pieces to make the requested size. A little tricky since I am NOT good at math! Anyway, I got the rose one done then decided to finish the bottom later.

About 3:30 the kids and I left to go to Target and to Jill's house for game night. We found Tess a birthday present since her bday is next week and we're getting together with family on Monday to celebrate. We also looked to see if we could find Olivia a swimsuit since she is in dire need. She either has a size 3 that is way too small or a size 6 that hangs on her- not good. To my delight, she chose one on the sale rack that I was surprisingly not opposed to.



To my further surprise, it was on sale (this never happens to me!) It was marked down to $5 since it was missing a piece of the set. I said happily, "Sure you can get this one". Then she found a little skirt that matched it for just $2. Obviously, the two pieces were supposed to go together but had been found separately or whatever, so we worked the system and bought the set for $7. What a bargain. Olivia and Mom were both very happy!



Game Night at Jill's was very enjoyable. We had the traditional grilled cheese sandwiches, chips, etc. and later had some cookie bars and kids had ice cream. We played Scum, Pit (very loud edition thanks to Jared), and then Sing Star 90's version. The songs on that one are so funny b/c they remind me so much of high school. I am always complaining that the 90's were not a good time for music, in my opinion. Yes, of course there are a few classics... but not so much. This is the list of songs on the game:

Arrested Development Tennessee
BoyZ II Men Motownphilly
Chumbawumba Tubthumping
Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up
Divinyls I Touch Myself
En Vogue Free Your Mind
Extreme More Than Words
Gin Blossoms Hey Jealousy
Hootie and the Blowfish Only Wanna Be With You
Jesus Jones Right Here Right Now
Len Steal My Sunshine
MC Hammer U Can’t Touch This
Natalie Imbruglia Torn
New Kids On The Block Step By Step
Nirvana Lithium
Paula Abdul Opposites Attract
Poison Unskinny Bop
R.E.M. Everybody Hurts
Santana feat. Rob Thomas Smooth
Savage Garden I Want You
Seal Kiss From A Rose
Sir Mix A Lot Baby Got Back
Sixpence None The Richer Kiss Me
Soundgarden Black Hole Sun
Spin Doctors Two Princes
Stone Temple Pilots Plush
Technotronic Feat. Felly Pump Up The Jam
The Cranberries Zombie
Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby
Wilson Phillips Hold On

Now tell me how many of those songs do you consider great? Like another 20 years from now, which of those do you really expect to be playing on the radio? Hmm, that's what I thought. Anyway, we had a good time. Jared did awesome at "More Than Words" and Amy attempted New Kids on the Block and realized how BAD that song really is. She rocked "Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia and I got "Hit Artist" on Kiss Me. Lori had to do Motown Philly since she had that CD in high school. Good Times.



Saturday morning I met Heather at 7 am to run. We did a 6 mile loop from her house, through the neighborhood, up the pass towards our church and back. It's a nice route and the day was beautiful. Thankfully, there was no wind and we talked alot, and had a great run. We did 7.25 if you count the cool down, but really what was just walking. I love the scenery out here and felt thankful once again to be in a beautiful place- overlooking the lake on one side and mountains on the other. I know it's out in the middle of nowhere, but there are benefits to living in F.E.M. There are hardly any cars on the roads, the sky is blue, the grass is green, it's just gorgeous. I am sure some would disagree... but I love running out here.



I went home and worked a little more on the blankets for the service project- finished the bottom layer- a lovely forest green, but didn't sew them together yet. They are huge pieces to work with and it's hard to make sure everything is straight. Luckily she said don't worry about it too much, it's just approximate.



After that we had lunch and got ready to go out with the kids. We decided to take them up the canyon and get outdoors since it was such a nice day. We took them up to see the waterfall, played around in the rocks, had a picnic, went to the park, etc. The kids all just loved it. It's so enjoyable to see them playing with rocks, climbing over boulders, splashing in the water, hiking up the trails, etc. Just being kids.









The mountains were so green and gorgeous up there. We saw so many people riding bikes and hiking. I once again felt so happy to live in such a beautiful place. It was so nice to get out and enjoy nature and the area we live in. Jared and Austin hiked way up to the top of the falls, which made me very nervous, but I figured he's getting big and he needs to do these boy things. I can't be an overprotective nervous mom and prevent him from having some fun and taking risks. When I saw some people carrying their newborn baby all the way up there (Yes, I thought they were crazy) I realized that I needed to relax. Austin was very proud of how high he went with Dad.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Robyn, may I be the first to say you look beautiful... you always do, but really I love it!
And what a fun weekend and quite productive. You are so cute, you do so much and have such a refreshing outlook on life and all the wonders it has to offer.
thanks for seeing the beauty in all things... :)

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks great- there is nothing quite like a fresh cut.

Your weekend sounds fantastic- family time, crafting time, outdoor time. Can't wait to see what you do today!

I think F-E-M is awesome. I love how removed it is, but still close enough. Going for a run out there would be fantastic. Anytime I have en excuse to go out there I plan some extra time to just drive around a little.

Laurie said...

CUTE haircut!

You're making me want to start a project with all that sewing....

michelle said...

There's nothing like a fresh cut and color, is there?

I love the way your birthday banner turned out -- good idea on the ribbon ties!

Can't believe the deal you scored on Olivia's bathing suit, it's really cute too.

I have to agree that the 90s was not the best time for music. I can't believe U Can't Touch This was in the 90s, that seems like such an 80s song! (and outfit) I do have to say that Pump Up the Jam is a good song, though...

I totally get nervous when my kids do things that are even slightly risky. Good thing Jared was around to keep him safe! I love the falls.

Jill said...

I thought it was hilarious when I saw you after you got your hair done because the change was so minimal. At least you can feel the difference eh? It looks good and I definitely think you need to post more self-portraits. If I can post my huge face all the time, surely you can post your skinny one!

Heidi said...

Love the haircut Robyn! And no I won't do any mocking but I can't say the same for Britney! You know how she is :)

The birthday banner looks great and I love the ribbon idea too.

It sounds like you had a great weekend. I'm glad you got to spend some fun down time with your family!

Anonymous said...

Why would I mock you? You look BEEE-autiful! (I didn't think your hair looked bad to begin with, but I do think you look quite gorgeous in your picture.)

Sounds like a great weekend -- very productive! I love the ribbon ties on the end -- great idea! I think I'll copy it.

I wish my family lived nearby -- I would love to have a game night! It sounds like you always have such a good time.

Love the pictures of your day outdoors! I'll bet your kids loved it! Now we just need to go camping and cook s'mores!

Sounds like a great weekend!

Diana said...

You look so pretty. I love it.
I love your weekend. It sounds so perfect to me!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness all those photos are fantastic, including your hair cut, how fun to get it done and to be refreshed. I think you look beautiful. I do get concious about spt, but lately, i am on a roll, i don't know what it is, maybe the desperate part in me, to actually get a decent picture!

Jamie said...

Wow, sounds like a busy weekend! You are so efficient at getting things done. You look absolutely beautiful, by the way, but then you always do. =D
Love the hair, love the banner, love the great deal on the swim suit, love family game time, and I LOVE the mountain pics!