Friday, February 22, 2008

Moving Hell

Despite the fact that I hate moving, I seem destined to do it often in my life. Again, and again, and again. Even though we arrived here back in November, we came with only 6 suitcases. The rest of our things arrived on Wednesday. Since then I have been in what is known as, Moving Hell. Yes, it is a nightmare.



That morning, Jared painted the bedroom that we were moving into. My dad chose a nice sage green. It's good- very neutral and soft, yet makes a huge difference in the room. You can't really see it in the photo b/c the room has 5 windows- it's very bright. Jared finished the second coat about an hour or so before the movers got here. Good timing.



Once the truck doors opened, the boxes just kept coming and coming. There was about 100 boxes and items that had to be checked off the master list. It's funny how you don't think you have that much stuff until it's ALL contained in boxes and sitting in front of you, literally. The whole basement was full of stacked boxes and stuff all over the place. I felt tired just looking at it. I have been drowning in boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap, and, unfortunately, broken glass.



I only saw one box that had been opened by Customs officials. I am not sure why our stuff sat in Customs in LA for almost 2 months when all they did was check a single box... oh well, at least it's here now!



Once the movers left, we started going through boxes, looking for bedding and the other basics. Jared started putting our bed and the kids' bunk beds together. We quickly discovered that there were many items broken, including this bookshelf from Ashley's room (it's supposed to look like a house). Another broken item that made me sad was a nice, framed print by Peter Lik, a famous Australian photographer. The glass broke during moving and it scratched the surface of the print so it's just trashed. I had hoped we could just replace the glass but no such luck. There is also a whole pallet that is missing, and no one is sure where it is. Yes, that's right. From what we know, it contains a dollhouse, 2 scooters, Olivia's bike, and who knows what else. I am praying that we can find it!



Amidst all the chaos, the kids kept themselves entertained base jumping from the couch on top of the mattress. Even Ashley was diving head first down the makeshift slide saying "Whee!" She is a crazy girl. I was glad they had something to keep them busy b/c I was so overwhelmed with all the stuff EVERYwhere!





Photo above is our room in the early stages. Below is the finished product. I wish the wall color showed up in these photos better b/c it looks really nice. I thought sage green would be too boring, but I am loving it.



The kids room has come together pretty good. I might play with the arrangement a little, but for now, it's good.



The kids have been going through their toys like it's Christmas. Olivia keeps pulling things out saying, "Oh Mom, remember this?!" and five minutes later, "Oh Mom, remember my bunny?" etc etc etc. She is a crack up. I can't wait to see how long this excitement lasts. I am giving it about 4 days, 10 minutes, and 30 seconds. I'll take what I can get!



So even though it's been non-stop for 3 days, I am glad that we finally have our things and we can feel more settled. It's nice to sleep in our own bed, with our own blankets. It's nice to have our books, CDs, DVDs, toys, photos, frames, and more. I am glad that we have insurance on everything so hopefully we'll be compensated for what is broken and/or lost!

3 comments:

Lindy said...

you've convinced me never to move--especially never to move to a different continent. what a pain! I love how the kids are so excited about their toys--I should try the "boxed up" toy idea around my house :)

Jill said...

How exciting to get your stuff finally!! I also can't believe there's actually a color on the bedroom wall! I look forward to seeing it in person!

Natasha said...

Your bedroom looks great and the kids' room with the bunk beds looks huge. My kids' rooms are small and I can't wait for them to have larger rooms one day. I like the paint color you went with too!