Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Introducing...Lentils!



Since I absolutely love lentils, but most people I know have NO clue what to do with them, I thought I would tell you a little bit about lentils, why they are so wonderful, and how to make them. Lentils are cheap and easy, and so good for you. You want to get to know them!

First of all, lentils are a "legume", a word we often hear but have no idea what it means. This group includes beans, peas, and lentils. Lentils are listed as Dr. Perricone's #4 superfood on Oprah's site. They give you protein, cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber, as well as about twice as much IRON as other legumes. (this is why I love them- I hate red meat!) And lentils are higher in most B vitamins (stress-fighters) and folate, which is especially important for women of childbearing age because folate reduces the risk of birth defects. Plus, researchers discovered that the pigment in Beluga black lentils acts like an antioxidant and helps protect against heart disease, cancer, and the aging process in general. Not too shabby for something so tiny!

Lentils can be stored a long time, are easy to make, and are one of the cheapest protein sources going, at just 75 cents per pound at grocery stores. And unlike other legumes, you don’t have to soak them before cooking. Just rinse them in cold water and simmer in water or broth until tender. Lots of other nations have discovered lentils- Africa, Turkey, Middle East, Egypt, India, and Pakistan are just a few countries where lentils are a staple to the diet, so why not join them?

Looking at my generic, Kroger-brand lentil package, I can see that just 1/4 cup of dried lentils (they expand when cooked) contains the following:

0 g Fat
20 g Carb
10 g Protein
11 g Fiber
20% Iron
4% Vit C
2% Calcium

So the amount of protein in just 1/4 cup of lentils is just below that of a McDonald's Cheeseburger, and MORE than an ounce of cheese, a cup of milk, or an egg. And who said you had to eat meat and dairy to get protein? Here are a few recipes containing lentils that I enjoy, just in case you are feeling adventurous.




LENTIL BOBOTIE-A South African dish from Jared's sister Susan, who is from Johannesburg

7 oz uncooked brown lentils
3 slices of wheat bread
1/2 c. + 2 T. milk or water
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 t. curry powder
1 t. tumeric
1 t. coriander
1/2 t. cumin
6 T. vinegar
1/4 c. chutney or apricot jam
2 T. worcestershire sauce
1/4 c. raisins
1 1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Boil lentils until soft, drain. (Do this first as it takes about 20-25 min)
2. In pan, saute onions and garlic until fragrant.
3. In a bowl, soak the bread in milk/water.
4. In the bowl, add lentils and onion/garlic mix to the soaked bread.
5. Mix together well. Add rest of ingredients.
6. Pour into greased 8 x 8 pan.
7. Bake 30-40 minutes.
8. Serve over rice

RED LENTIL SOUP

1 1/2 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 T. ginger
1/2 t. chili flakes
1/2 t. tumeric
1/2 t. coriander
1/2 t. cumin
2 carrots, peel and chop
2 c. tomatoes (15 oz can)
1 c. red lentils
3 c. vegetable stock
1/4 c. creamy plain yogurt (sour)
1 T. fresh mint

1. In pan, melt butter and cook garlic, onion, ginger, spices until onions are soft
2. Add carrots, tomatoes, lentils, stock
3. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 40 minutes or until lentils are tender
4. Top with dollop of yogurt and fresh mint.
5. Serve with rice or Naan bread and other Indian dishes.

LENTILS AND RICE- less spicy, more conservative option

2 2/3 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. dried lentils
3/4 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. brown rice, uncooked
1/2 t. basil, dried
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. oregano, dried
1/4 t. thyme, dried
1/8 t. pepper
1/2 c. swiss cheese, shredded
8 strips of swiss cheese

1. Combine all ingredients except cheese strips.
2. Turn into ungreased 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish with lid
3. Bake covered for 1 1/2-2 hours or until rice and lentils are done.
4. Uncover and top with cheese strips. Bake again for 3 minutes until strips are melted.

VEGETABLE DAHL

1 t. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced fine
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 t. cumin
pinch of cayenne pepper
dash of salt
1/4 lb. eggplant, diced
1/2 c. red lentils
1 1/4 c. vegetable stock
1/2 t. tomato paste
1/4 lb. potatoes, diced
1 c. cauliflower
1/2 t. tumeric
1 t. garam masala

1. Boil water to cook potatoes. Cook just until tender (not mushy)
2. Heat oil in pan. Cook onions, garlic, cumin and cayenne until onions are soft.
3. Add eggplant, lentils, stock, tomato paste and dash salt
4. Cover and simmer 30 minutes until veggies are cooked and lentils are soft
5. If potatoes are done now, drain but keep hot water.
6. Steam cauliflower until barely tender in separate pan.
7. Mix all ingredients, using the water from potatoes to thin if too thick
8. Season with garam masala and tumeric to taste.
9. Serve with rice.

LENTIL LOAF- I haven't tried this one yet, I just found it, but it looks interesting! I will let you know

6 ounces red lentils, split
16 fluid ounces water
1 bay leaf
4 ounces cheese , grated
1 onion , finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 ounces whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon parsley , chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 egg
salt and pepper
butter (for coating tin)
dried crumbs (for coating tin)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Put lentils, water and bay leaf into saucepan and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, all liquid absorbed - about 20 mins.
3. Remove bay leaf.
4. Grease loaf tin with butter, sprinkle with dried crumbs.
5. Add cheese, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon juice and egg to lentils.
6. Mix and season well.
7. Bake in tin, uncovered for 45-60 mins. until firm and golden brown on top.


Give these recipes a try if you are up to it. Also click here for my favorite LENTIL SOUP which I previously posted. It's SOOO fast, easy, and delicious. My dad actually said we should have it once a week, and he is a tough critic!

And if you don't like any of these... Recipezaar has 866 recipes containing lentils... I am sure you can find ONE that you like!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have cooked with lentils a few times, but the texture is always a little grainy so I wonder if I am doing something wrong? I love them in other things I have had them in- so I figure it must be me! I love how cheap they are and the nutrition they offer, so I have not written them off completely- thanks for the recipes! I will add them to our next few weeks and see if I fair better.

Robyn said...

Hannah, I am not sure about the grainy thing. I don't find them grainy. I am not sure if it's just the natural texture that you don't like or maybe they aren't all the way cooked? or maybe too cooked and a little mushy? Let me know how it goes with the other recipes :-)

Lindy said...

you know that I am LOVING this post--thanks for the recipes! I will be trying them soon! My mom made lentils for us when we were younger but I don't know why I never think about them. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Elizabeth said...

I am happy for more of your lentil recipes. I love them as much as you do!
I have one tip to add (maybe solving Hannah's problem. You should wait to add salt when you are ready to eat the dish. If added while cooking it makes the lentils tougher.

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey thank you for these....I grew up with lentils and I really did not like them until recently...meaning the last 10 years....we often make a lentil salad...it is quite good. Thank you for all the info...I have enjoyed reading it. I will try it soon.

Jill said...

We're related right?

Laurie said...

I'm a fan of finding more fiber (11 grams?! I'm impressed) and protein for my diet, so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for the info and inspiration. Maybe I'll start with the lentil soup or a lentil salad. Sounds yummy. Some of the recipes intimidate me b/c I don't normally cook with some of those things like tumeric and coriander. But hey...why not.

Anonymous said...

Heard you are sick- yikes! Hope you surface soon!

amy gretchen said...

I'm so glad you posted this. I often wondered about lentils because they are so high in protein, but don't really know what to do with them. Thanks for the recipes. Can't wait to use them.

Jamie said...

I made one Dahl recipe you had given me a while ago when we read "The Namesake" in book club. It was so good, that I ended up eating half of it in one sitting the next day. I'm excited to try more of your recipes. Thanks for sharing!