Thursday, March 06, 2008

It's all a blur...

So for the past week, I have been on my deathbed. It all started last Thursday when, about noon, I didn't feel so hot. It felt like I had done some major upper body workout 2 days before. I was so sore and achy! I wasn't very hungry and I had a headache. By dinnertime, I was feeling really crappy and let Jared make some dinner for the kids. I went to bed at 7 pm. By the next day, I was feeling pretty miserable. I stayed in bed all day. I felt nauseous, so tired and achy, headache, etc. I didn't leave my bed all weekend. I couldn't eat anything. Even my own saliva made me nauseous and want to throw up. The last 3 days I got a really sore throat and it felt like razors were shredding the back of my throat. I sprayed Chloraseptic about every 30 minutes just to be able to swallow. I still couldn't even stomach a cough drop, however.



By Tuesday morning, it didn't seem to be letting up at all. I just wanted to die. It felt like I had been laying in my bed forever. For 5 days I hadn't gotten dressed, or left the house (hardly walked up stairs for that matter), hadn't changed out of my pj's (no, not the same pair!), hadn't done more than have a bath everyday. Thank goodness Mom was feeling well enough to take care of the kids or there would have been serious neglect happening. I was in some kind of comatose stupor with no end in sight. Jared asked if he should take me to the Dr. I couldn't even imagine getting out of bed and physically going to the Dr. office, but I forced myself for the benefits I was sure it would bring. So we went that morning, waited what seemed like an eternity in the waiting room... I was so uncomfortable and still so nauseous I could hardly sit there. I was trying not to whimper out loud. They led me into a small exam room and I couldn't even sit up while the nurse took my blood pressure and temp. I laid down while we waited for the Dr. to come in. Finally, this LOUD, boisterous and a bit effeminate Dr. comes in. He leans against the wall and says, "What's the problem here?" Ugh. Bedside manner. I did my best to tell him, I couldn't really talk much. He then presented my choices in a very non-traditional manner which really confused me. I wanted to say, don't give me all the options and ask, "What do you want to do?" You're the doctor! Tell me what to do! Just make it go away! Eventually we were able to communicate in the same language. He said it probably started out as the flu but the infection moved into my chest and became severe bronchitis. We would have to do a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia but he said either way we'd treat it the same, so we decided I needed a couple of bags of IV fluid as I was severely exhausted and dehydrated. They put a bag of antibiotics in there too. He sent me home with 750 mg antibiotic pills to knock out the infection.

I was able to eat something that night, finally, and I felt a lot better. Yesterday I was still really weak and tired, but today I feel much, much better. Still not 100%, but compared to laying in bed wishing to die just 3 days ago, I feel fantastic! Thank goodness for modern medicine, IV bags, and drugs.

Now the bad news is, Jared is feeling sick. Oh no...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yuck- that is a long time to feel so crappy. Any idea what it was? I hope Jared doesn't get it as bad- or your kiddos!

It is funny that you didn't like the approach of that doctor- he sounds like just the type I love, give me my options and then we can all make a decision. I guess it is good there are all sorts out there!

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, what a nightmare. It's so nice that mom was able to help take care of the kids so you could rest like that. I can't believe you had to have an I.V., yikes! I'm glad you're on the mend and hope Jared doesn't get it as badly.

Are the kids okay?

Jamie said...

Oh no, that sounds awful! I can't believe you had to have an IV. I hope you get feeling better soon and I hope if Jared is getting sick that it isn't too bad. No fun.

Anonymous said...

Rob, you didn't tell us the doctor was so insensitive and rude. I didn't know you had an x-ray either. I'm so happy you are gettng better!

Midge said...

Sadly you just made me feel better, I've been sick for two weeks now, started out the same but i got a sinus infection and finally made it o the doctor today. I'm glad you are feelingg better, I can't wait till we are both 100%

Lindy said...

that sounds sooo awful. I'm glad you got the meds to feel better-- hopefully Jared's won't turn into the same thing.

Laurie said...

This illness sounds like a form of pure torture. So sorry to hear. I'm glad you are on the up! What a miserable week!

Diana said...

Man I am so so sorry. Bronchitis really sucks. I am happy that you have a sweet husband to take care of you.
Sorry about the doctor I am much like you and would rather just have him tell me what to do.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness how miserable you must have felt. I think it really sounds seriuous. My brother also had bronchitis. I have had some serious flu too. I had it in houston then it came back with a vengence in Az and just about a week ago it hit me again...I know I have an infection but have not been to the doctor yet. I have felt misserable not as much as not being able to get out of bed though...hope you feel much much better with all those remedies.