Monday, November 26, 2007

What's that guy's name? Rudolph!

The title of my post is a quote from Olivia. I have a sore on the underside of my nose (due to constant drippage, the bane of my winter existence in Utah). Tonight she was looking at me and she said, "You have a red thing on your nose". I said, "Yes, I know, I have a sore." She said, "Hey, we should call you... what's that guy's name? Oh, Rudolph! The Red-nosed Reindeer!" Aw, isn't that sweet? I just love the fact that I have a scab on the underside of my nose. I guess it could be worse... a cold sore. I will try to remember that.

Anyway, I haven't been posting lately. Not sure why. My life isn't very exciting lately and I am enjoying the lack of excitement. I have been relaxing, taking it easy, hanging out with friends, coloring with the kids, baking, etc. It's a good thing.

But to catch up a bit... here are some photos from this week.



1. Austin started school on Monday, finally. It was such a soap opera. I had him immunized in Australia, just before we left, so he would be up to date, as the school advised me. (I thought I was being organized and well-prepared). Little did I know that by doing this, I would prevent him from having a TB test which is required of all new International students in Utah County. Therefore, it was a big drama as to whether or not they would let him start school without the TB test or make him wait 6 weeks to take it before he could start. Thank goodness the UT county health rep waived the requirement and let him start school. I was getting worried!!!

He says the bus is his favorite thing about school. I ask him about class and he doesn't say much. Does anyone else's kids do this? It's like asking him what he learned at church on Sunday. I get nothing! He did tell me this evening that he got "pinned" today at school. I had no idea what that meant. Apparently when they leave the cafeteria they must follow a red line and go out to the playground?? He missed the red line and ended up somewhere near garbage cans (this is from his jumbled explanation) and so one of the playground ladies "pinned" him and he had to stand against the wall for a few minutes.





2. Thanksgiving was pretty good. We always go to my mom's sister's house in West Jordan. It was nice this year b/c she added onto the small kitchen they have in the basement so it was easier to clean up and serve the food. We have a lot of family members at the gathering, so set up and clean up is pretty big. We did our annual hayride behind Uncle Holly's tractor and the kids always love that. Above is a photo of Olivia and Ashley eating their food. Olivia follows in Dad's footsteps, she loves potatoes!

3. It's been enjoyable to be at Mom and Pop's house. It's such a comfortable, familiar place for me and the kids. We have settled right in. The kids love the cats, Bert and Ernie, and have gotten over a little bit of their freakish fear of all animals (great and small). Olivia actually HELD Ernie yesterday and it was a big moment. Ashley likes to talk about the kitties but don't even think about getting her near one of them, she loses it. Maybe in time...



4. The kids have had a few informal tap lessons from Nana while we've been here. Olivia brought her tap shoes and Austin has worn a pair Nana had already. It's cute to see them following her lead, "Shuffle, tap, toe" or "Shuffle, ball change". Sometimes they are in the mood and sometimes not, but I think it's cute.



5. Today Austin got a package from his teacher in Australia. Her name is Mrs. Tomassen and she was the best teacher. She had ALL the kids write him individual letters and draw a picture on each. He was so excited. She really wanted to do an exchange with his class here. I am going to see his teacher and ask if we can hurry and send some back. They get out of school on Dec 15th, so we might be cutting it close.

6. I got to go shopping with Mom today. She wants to improve the basement Rec room in her house, so we got a 52" flatscreen TV. It's coming on Thursday. After that, we went car shopping. She was sold on the Nissan Pathfinder, then I steered her towards the Honda Pilot. So today we got a bbsitter and went out to the dealers, to CarMax, etc. She is hoping to get one this week! Please Mom, tell me your mind is made up! If not, I am going to have to start charging fees for my "Personal Shopping" services. If anyone out there needs someone to research a car or TV, help them bargain with a salesperson, or otherwise help you spend money, just let me know.



7. Jared got an appointment with the consulate in Australia! On Wednesday he'll be flying down to Sydney and will hopefully come away with his visa. His sister arrives from South Africa on the 9th of Dec, so after a few days visit with her, he plans to come here. Wow, it seems like forever since we saw him. We miss you Jared!

8. Can't believe it's December at the end of this week. I think I have been saying that since January... "I can't believe it's (blank)". I am obviously getting really old because my life is just flying by me. Who has their Christmas cards done?

9. Wednesday night is the blogger book club. I am almost done with History of Love. Are you all coming? Who liked it? What food are you bringing? Something chocolate or pumpkin, I hope!

10. I tried to go running today outside. It was a joke. The winds out here in "Freakin' Eagle Mountain" are like hurricane winds. It was cold out, but I don't think I would have been so cold if not for the winds. I also have that altitude thing against me right now. I have been living below sea level for 2 years so it's a rude awakening trying to run out here. Oh well, I am trying. Baby steps, I guess (quite literally, I regret to say... there wasn't a lot of running going on today).

7 comments:

chloe said...

I won't be able to make it, yet again, to book club. But I'm in the middle of the book and I like it so far. I love the writing style.

Natasha said...

Cute about Austin's fave part of school being the bus. Luci loves the bus too and has an awesome bus driver. She only has to ride around the corner.

That is weird about the being pinned at school thing, but I don't doubt it. Luci's school "rewards" the students (by giving them Hershey Kisses) if they pick up trash on the playground at school. Some parents think this is great but I was horrified! Hello, I don't want my kid "rewarded" with junk food for being a good citizen and also I don't want her picking up other people's trash with her bare hands. And third, she should be playing at recess, not cleaning, she is a kid for crying out loud. I kindly informed the school that we - as a family - will be glad to assist with school beautification days, etc. but unless they are providing disposable gloves my child will no longer be participating in sanitation duties during recess!

Shopping for cars and flat screen TVs sounds fun to me!

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh wow it seems you are taking it easy...change and moving is always hard and it takes a toll somewhere some time...too bad the altitude is getting the best of you...plus you just arrived to a winter cold weather from almost summer....so that should factor in. I hope this season brings you warmth and excitement. Things will move forward and you will be feeling on board soon. Blogging will come back

Jill said...

You don't have to have anything exciting going on to have lots to blog about, that's one of the beauties of blogging. It's life documentation so kid quotables, daily happenings, complaints, chuckles and all of that are perfect.

It's so cute that mom is teaching the kids to tap dance. I need to get Whitney some tap shoes so she can come dance too, she'd love it.

I'm so excited about your personal-shopper role to mom and pup, they need you! The basement has needed improvements for a long time so having this big tv and a game system will be so fun. Bring on the karaoke!

Elizabeth said...

Fun to read your catch up. I am glad you are enjoying some down time and everything worked out for Austin getting back to school.

Jamie said...

Glad you've been able to take a breather. . . you definitely deserve it. :D
The tap lessons are so cute and how fun to be able to go out shopping with your mom. We just might employ your services for TV shopping, since we will need a new one by Feb. 2009.
I know what you mean about the altitude change. I always "huff" it and have burning lungs when I'm back in Utah. just look at it as expanding your VO2 max. ha ha.

melanie said...

Thank goodness they let Austin in school. I'm sure he was more than ready. Some of the school rules freak me out too, they seem to have no basis. He's new for crying out loud. How annoying.

You shopping skills are funny. I love spending other people's money! When they ask that is.

Love the tap lessons, adorable.

I'm glad you had a great holiday. Here's to getting Jared here soon!