Tuesday, October 16, 2007

That's thinking, go with it

Do you remember that episode of Grey's Anatomy where the blonde beauty queen girl is on there and she is annoying Meredith, paging her all the time, and she says, "But, my brain is all full" and Meredith says, "That's thinking. Go with it." I love that one.

There are so many things going through my head I just can't shut off. I can't lay down and sleep and hit the "OFF" switch. Contrary to what you might think, because of my blog, my life is not completely made up of this move. It's obviously taken over my life lately, but yesterday that changed.

My RS President, Bronwyn's son died on Sunday night. It was so tragic, it has really shaken me. I can't remember being this close to someone who had a member of their family die, at least not for a long time. We got a call early Monday morning, since Jared is the EQ President and I am in the RS Presidency. The news was so shocking. Bronwyn's son, Jordan, who was just 23, was in Perth for a few weeks. He was helping a business partner (Bronwyn and her husband have a spa business) set up shop. He went out fishing at 5am with the business partner and two other people. When they didn't get back by 5pm that evening, the guy's wife called the police. At some point, two of the people who were on the boat got back to shore (they were 2 miles out) and were found near the road.



Jordan Griffin, 23



Don't know all the details. They told the police that at some point the boat capsized and all four were in the water for at least 5 hours, maybe up to 12, the articles and reports are inconsistent. I heard the boat owner was hanging onto a fuel can. It sounds like they had some life jackets but weren't wearing them. When the boat overturned, they couldn't get to them. Anyway, once they found the first 2 men, the search was on for the boat owner and for Jordan. At 11pm that night they called Bronwyn and her husband and told them (this was the first they heard) that he was missing and they still hadn't found him. They didn't know if he was dead or alive. The water temp was about 15 degrees C, about 60 degrees F. At 1 am they found the boat owner who was alive, but barely. At 2 am they called to say they had found Jordan's body and that he was not alive.

Life is so fragile. You never know what is going to happen. I just ached for them all day yesterday I couldn't get it out of my mind. I visited with them yesterday afternoon and looked at the beautiful photos. He was a good looking guy (hello, look at the photo) Young and fit. One photo of Jordan just keeps coming into my mind. It was his 7th birthday. Superman cake. Huge grin on his face. He was always smiling, in every photo. I just kept thinking, that could be my little Austin. He turns 7 in just 2 months.

The other thing that I keep thinking about is Bronwyn's other son, Josh, who is about 20, has Down's Syndrome. Just after they got the call on Sunday night, he came out of his room and told them that Jordan had come to visit him and hugged him. Needless to say, this brought an emotional reaction from his parents who had just gotten the news that Jordan was missing. Shows how close to the Spirit these special people are.

So just a few days ago I was worried about shipping my things to America, now I am worried about feeding 200 people at a funeral on Monday. Organizing meals to be taken in this week. Flowers, tablecloths, food. What a crazy time.

Here are a few of the articles. One is VERY badly written and the others all have sketchy details...

Australian News
Gold Coast News
The West News

It just makes me think of the talk in Conference by Elder Octaviano Tenorio. He talks about how his baby daughter died and
he wasn't sad because he knew that God has a plan and that he and his wife could be together with her again.
I like the words at the end that he can be "calm in his hope through the Savior" that he will be with his children (who passed away) again. What a blessing the gospel is at a time like this. It has been great to see the members of our ward at church come forward, willing and anxious to be of help, to bring meals, and to comfort Bronwyn and her family. My thoughts are with them at this time.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

I am so sorry for Bronwyn and her family! That is so sad. I can't even imagine how hard that would be. My heart and prayers are going out to them.
I like how you added the conference talk about dealing with death. How do people without the gospel cope with such a loss? When you told me that his brother had seen him, it sent chills down my spine. Such a testimony that the spirit world is here and is so close.

amy gretchen said...

My heart is aching at this tragic news. This is something that no one should have to go through, and yet we do. The gospel is indeed peaceful and joyful news during this time, but even with all that you know it is still hard everyday of your life. It still changes who you are, it still effects you, I guess like all experiences do.

my prays go out to this family.

melanie said...

These are the kind of losses and deaths that totally shake me too. I'm always reminded how precious life is. So glad she has you to help plan the dinner.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my goodness when you started with grey's anatomy, I thought he was an actor or something...can't believe it. It seems soo unfair, to see such young boy die. I think when things like this happen it should make all of us reevaluate our lives and do the most we can with our loved ones. So sad, such loss...I am sure Bronwyn's has found comfort and a helping heart with you. It is good that you are there to help her out in this time of need.

Bond Girl 007 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chloe said...

That really is so sad. Isn't it interesting how easy it is to get caught up in the "stress" of life and lose perspective (I'm talking about myself, really)?

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, I'm in shock. What a terrible situation.