
In that short amount of time, my Mom will be here! She is, as I write this, flying over the Pacific somewhere. Hopefully she is sleeping soundly in comfort, enjoying her first international flight! I am so proud of her for coming. She got her first passport just a few months ago and now she's flying across the world. Such an adventure.
I got a message from Lori this morning saying that they freaked my mom out at SLC airport by telling her she needed a visa and she didn't think she had one. Lori got online and processed an ETA for her, but I don't know why they did that. Usually the int'l carrier will just do it when you check in, instantaneously. I never do anything ahead of time, it's just taken care of when they check you in. I called Qantas anyway to confirm. She talked to me like I was an idiot like, "Duh, it will be done when she checks in and we see her passport." And I said, "I just wanted to make sure". You'd think they would be happy that I wanted to be prepared. Oh well. So hopefully Mom didn't have any trouble with them at Los Angeles.
The kids are so excited. They have been counting the days ever since the flight was booked. They are convinced she's bringing like 40 presents, so they might be a little disappointed in that area... but I am sure she'll have a few. They are also excited to make Halloween cookies with orange and black sprinkles (things we can't get here).
I have been cleaning and packing this week. I think I have been pacing myself pretty well, so hopefully the next few days won't be too bad. We had a garage sale on Saturday and sold a bit. The other things finally sold the past few days as well- the washer, fridge, car, TV table, etc. The packers come on Wednesday morning but we don't have to be out until the end of Friday, so that gives us time to finish up the last bit of cleaning or throw out the junk, etc. I hate those very last moments of emptying a house. There is always SO many little things that you forget about.
Anyway, we will be here, though down to the bare bones in an empty house, until Friday. Then we'll stay at Katherine's house (Jared's sister) for the last 5 days. It's a nice beach house and she has 3 kids so we'll have everything we need. They are leaving for a 10 day cruise in Hawaii on Saturday so they won't even be there. I am really looking forward to staying there b/c it will feel like a holiday- a MUCH needed holiday. I hope the weather is good and we can enjoy the pool and the beach and still do some fun stuff.
(Ashley and Colby playing in the sand at Casuarina Beach near Kate's house)
COUNTDOWN: 10 hrs 15 min until Mom arrives. 9 days until we leave for America!
6 comments:
hey hooray for your mom...that is such a treat to be able to travel. I am sure she will love it, alhtough a 10 hour plus trip...it is a bit tediuos and hard. I think it will be really nice to finish your stay in Australia in that type of situation...feeling more relax and not running around with your head cut off trying to get lingering things...soo hard. You must be excited to see the change of seasons...specially this one.
I love that you have some time near the beach before you leave. Enjoy it!
How fun for the kids to get Grandma in town before you move back. I hope everything goes smooth on her trip.
I hope you have a blast with your mom and at the beach house. Enjoy those last few days!
Very exciting times for you guys!
There is nothing better than a visit from Mom, right? How fun for her to be able to actually see everthing that you have talked about over the phone, etc and to meet everyone in your Aussie life. Have fun!
It sounds like things are working out splendidly. I'm so happy you guys get to stay at Kathrine's place so that it will be like a vacation and final farewell to Australia. It will be cool for mom to get to experience that too.
If I had a relative where you live, I'd be getting my passport as well! How fun for your mom to pay a visit.
Post a Comment