Saturday, September 22, 2007

My dogs are barking



The title is in honor of Lori, who used to always say her "dogs were barking" when she worked at Mrs. Fields and was on her feet all day long. I am feeling the pain...


Ever since Wednesday, I have felt like an 80 year old woman... or at least someone whose body is tired and falling apart. That morning, my friend Natalie and I, along with her friend Natalie, ran with a personal trainer at the beach. We did a whole workout barefoot in the soft sand. First, we ran from one end of Burleigh to the other, about 4 km. Occasionally, he would take us down to the hard packed sand (where the 2nd Natalie was running) then he would lead Nat and I back to the soft stuff. It was so HARD. It's like trying to run in snow! Our feet were slipping around everywhere and of course, this makes you work hard, using muscles you don't normally use. When we got to the north end of Burleigh, we ran up the hill of the headland, which is paved. My feet were killing me. At the time, I thought, "Wow, this pavement is really rough". We kind of tried to walk on the grass til we got to the top. Then, he had us go down the steps (which are like a wall) to the other side of the headland and we did more training there. After about 20 minutes over there, we had to run up the steps (we're still barefoot) as fast as we could. I was SO dead by this point. Seriously. My feet were aching and sore. I couldn't believe it. We went back to the other side, did some squats, sprints, etc, then ran back to the south end of the beach, where we had started. It was such a good workout.




Anyway, the point of the story is that as soon as I got home that morning, I washed my feet off and I realized they really hurt. They felt RAW. I guess it's like taking sandpaper to your feet or something. I don't know. I ended up wearing my socks and running shoes all day. I couldn't even wear flip flops or any other shoes. My feet hurt so much. The next day I wore some slip on canvas shoes but still not enough support. I left them on, even in the house - I could not walk barefoot at all. By Friday I was still so achey and in so much pain. I decided I needed something that I could walk in. I took inspiration from Natasha and I got myself some Crocs. I have never been a big fan but I was forced into it. I have to say, in retrospect, I wish I had done it sooner!


My feet are so happy. I want to wear them all the time. I have hardly taken them off since I bought them. Sorry, Natasha, I haven't worn them to bed yet, but if this carries on, I just might! I guess I can see why so many people love them, I have just never understood why they were so popular. I have never seen the appeal. All I can say is, I am so happy I can walk without wincing. Now what am I going to do about church tomorrow? Hmm, don't think my Crocs will go with any of my dresses.

4 comments:

Jill said...

That workout sounds brutal and potentially damaging. I'm glad the Crocs proved to be helpful, hopefully you won't be doing that workout any time soon.

Robyn said...

Yeah, I like these ones. I hope they aren't too hideous but by Friday I didn't care. I almost bought them against my will. I just needed comfort. You'd be surprised how soft they are. I think it's my flat, narrow feet. I am supposed to wear orthodics but don't. I guess it's my own fault they hurt so much.

melanie said...

I was pretty much a croc hater too. We were out of town and I only had ridiculous shoes and my MIL had some crocs that I could not take off they made my feet so happy. After that I was sold (I have the black mary janes). The flip flop ones are cute too!

Bond Girl 007 said...

those are cute ones...i love how light they are