That is the name of the program I wrote for my internship in nutrition counseling- Simply Vegetarian. I loved the project, loved the research I got to do, and loved the fact that I got to share veggie recipes with people who actually cared.
Today I got to go to one of my favorite places here, a vegetarian restaurant called Magic Apple. I was first introduced back in 1999 when Jared took me there, during my first trip to Australia. They have the best (well, what I consider the best) food!!! My friend Prue and I met for lunch since I only had Ashley (because Olivia is at preschool and Austin at school). Hooray for Tuesdays!!!
I had Kofta balls with sauce and a Tofu Sesame Square. Prue got a lentil casserole and the Kofta balls. I insisted she try the Kofta balls b/c I had them the last time I was there and they are to die for. According to the menu, they are made of "grated cabbage, grated carrot, Indian spices, wholewheat flour". The sauce is "blended tomatoes, celery, onion, sugar, brown mixed spice, cinnamon and basil". I know some of you are drooling right now... admit it!! Alright, I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it. The sauce on those Kofta balls is amazing.
I am trying to do more self portraits- I had to practically force Prue to take this photo with me.
Some other things on their menu are "Nut Meat Sossys" which is spelt pastry wrapped around "heaps of veggies, roasted peanuts, vegemite, cheese, bread crumbs, tarragon, basil, sage, chili, and soy". Sounds yummy! Last time we were there, Olivia had a Curried Veggie Morney Pie which is "a vegan pie in spelt pastry with sauteed pumpkin, leeks, onions and broccoli in a white vegan sauce". Seriously. She wolfed it down. She wouldn't let me leave before she finished the last two bites. Crazy.
They also have tons of amazing deserts like sugarless carrot cake (made with berries and coconut), fresh juices, frozen dinners, cookies, veggie burgers, casseroles, salads, etc. It's my kind of place. I should have been born a hippie or something. I don't know why I love this stuff. Maybe because it's so uplifting, energizing. I like that it's all about feeling good and taking care of yourself. They have tons of quotes around the restaurant, my favorite is "Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food" by Hippocrates. I truly believe that when you eat whole foods your body will be healthy.
In the spirit of all things veggie, here is my recent favorite recipe for Bean Burgers. I had it with a bun and Roast pumpkin and feta salad on the side. So delicious.
1 can Cannellini Beans – rinsed and drained
Oil Spray
1 Onion – finely chopped
2 Cloves Garlic – finely chopped
1 Tsp Ground Cumin
1 Zucchini – grated
1 Carrot – grated
1 ½ Cups Bread Crumbs
2 Tsp Olive Oil
Method:
1. Mash beans
2. Cook garlic and onion in frypan until soft, stir through cumin
3. Add zucchini, carrot and breadcrumbs. Mix with beans and form into balls.
4. Refrigerate for about an hour
5. Cook in oil for 3 mins on each side until heated through.
6. EAT ME!!
Serve with:
Turkish Bread, wholegrain bun, toasted bread, pita, wrap
Mixed Salad Leaves, arugula, spinach
Tomatoes
Mayo, ketchup, or Sweet Chilli Sauce (which is also good added to the mix)
8 comments:
YUM, I must confess I am a carnivorous...one that loves meat...but I do love veggies too, and that recipie sounds like I want to try it soon. In Mexico they have a place that is called 100% Natural and everything they serve is all so conciously done in nutrition. So it is nice, I don't think I am a fanatic, but I will try a thing here and there.
I'm so excited to try your bean burgers. I bought the Cannelini beans while I was grocery shopping today so it is on the menu for this week! (I'll think I'll surprise Andy and tell him after he eats the "burger". :D
Me again....you need to add that picture to the recipe blog and the recipe for the roasted pumpkin salad. YUM!
If anyone wants to check it out, the recipe blog is www.sharinggoodeats.blogspot.com
This is my favorite food also. There was a place just like this close to wear I grew up in California. I still crave their falafel burgers.
I will be trying your bean burgers for sure. I am excited for a new recipe.
I can't comment on any of this tofu and veggie business, except to say that I'm glad you have a friend who likes it too.
As I've gotten to make my own food over the last several years (versus being limited to what my parents offered), I have a growing love for eating healthy and getting vegetables in. But you're makin me realize there is a lot more to eating veggies than I realize - actual recipes beyond steaming my broccoli! :-) I have never been to a place like the restaurant you mentioned.
QUESTION - Can you recommend a good healthy smoothie to help me get in fruits and perhaps even some spinach??
Yes I love vegetables too, especially potatoes!
This food sounds fun! I am all for trying new things. I love eating healthy foods. I wish that I could eat like this all the time. But I do love some junk as well. I think that I will try your bean recipe and try to slide that into our dinner menu without anyone knowing! Worked with my Jedi Juice!
Post a Comment