Monday, March 05, 2007

Feelin' the Love



I can't believe it! We have gotten two more packages since my last posting. We are really feeling loved down here in Oz. It's so exciting to get a package from home. I love it. On Saturday, Austin was ecstatic to find HIS name on the front of a special delivery. It was adorable to see him reading the note from Landon all by himself.



In it, Landon had sent a note, a bunch of 'guys' (action figures), and candy. The kids really enjoyed the suckers. It was funny to see Ashley trying to get Olivia's sucker from her mouth. To her credit, Olivia did share with her and give her a lick or two but we didn't trust Ashley with her own yet. I wasn't ready to 'de-stickify' my house for the next week. Austin has been playing with the guys and has them tucked away somewhere so I can't take a picture of them. There was one TOTALLY creepy skeleton guy with like 8 arms. I am pretty sure Jill used us as an excuse to get rid of him. He doesn't look like a character she would like... Way too spider like! Austin thinks he's great, of course. Jill also sent me some "Good Mail" labels. Finally I have an excuse to send some good mail. I know, I know. I could have sent it without the cute lables. I am now inspired. Thank you Jill! I really love them especially the colors, pink and green. A favorite combo of mine.



Today we got a package from Lori! It was full of goodies for all of us.




Olivia got the cutest polka dot/striped swimsuit with matching swim skirt. Just so you know, I will have to RIP this off Olivia's body every night for the next month, I am sure. But that just means she will love it Lori. You know her well.



Ashley got an adorable white dress. It is so cute. Love those dresses! Austin got two coloring/activity books. He is King of activity books, dot to dots, word searches, etc. He loves them. (As soon as he came home and saw this package he sat down to work in the books) I think these will be great for the church bag. Austin and Olivia both got a little watch too. Lori sent me an US magazine and really cute swimsuit bottoms. I love the 'boy short' bottoms cause they hide those dimples at the top of the thigh/hips and more especially, my stretch marks! My stomach came out unscathed after three pregnancies but my legs... not so. Thank you so much Lori. It was a LOAD of goodness. WE love you!



It's funny that these packages have come at a time when I am feeling really "disconnected". Now that we have been here over a year I am feeling like I should have made some really close friends by now. I should have some people I can just call and chat with. I guess I do have them, but I don't take the opportunity as much as I should. This past week we have had dinner with two different families that Jared and I both really enjoyed. Hopefully, we can get to know them better and make better friends. Jared is even going to go out surfing one morning this week with one of them. I am glad that he too is making new connections. It's hard to not have the familiarity and comfort that comes with old friends. It takes time to build it up. It doesn't always happen with the people you want it to happen with. I am trying to remember the word I picked for this year, "CHOOSE". I must choose to be a good friend. I must pick up the phone and call them. I have to get out of my comfort zone. It's hard when in my head I tell myself, "Why would they want to be friends with me?" or "They are already friends with so and so... they don't need a new friend" or whatever. I know it's silly. I have to just take chances. Sometimes I feel like such a child.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Robyn, I've been the same way in my ward. I've been here for two years now. I had a good girlfriend in the ward but she moved a year ago and this past year I have just let the friendship thing slide. Just two weeks ago I invited a girl over who I really wanted to get to know, and she's been over twice and has been receptive to my friendship. I also did the same with another girl and now we have started getting together as well or all together. It's amazing how one or two small efforts to invite somebody to get together can change the whole frustration of looking for friends to connect.

Caitlin and Mike said...

Your family is so kind to think of you while you're living so far away. That polka-dot bathing suit is adorable!
I have an older sister that is moving from the states to New Zealand in a few weeks.

Jamie said...

Being somewhat shy, I know how hard it is to get out of your comfort zone and to just invite someone over, or to get to know new people, etc. I was so used to my old friends back home that I had known for years. I had huge self-esteem issues when I first moved here, felt like an outsider, etc. It has taken time (and effort) but I finally feel like I have friends.
I'm sure you will find that "bosom friend" out there who is just waiting for you! You are being pro-active about it, so I'm sure it will happen soon. I wish we lived closer because I would love to hang out. :D

amy gretchen said...

Another good mail delivery...awesome. It's great that it came in just the right time to boast your spirits and help you feel connected.

Has Jared still not received our bday gift to him?

Elizabeth said...

Yeah for sisters and good mail. Those are some great things to get in the mail.

Jill said...

I will admit I was happy to see that skeletal action figure go all the way to your house in Australia, but I'll have you know that Landon carefully chose that guy because he said Austin likes him!

annalisa said...

Our own thoughts can be our worst enemies. It's so easy to feel disconnected when we don't have our comfort zone to fall back on. Every once in a while you are reminded that you are out of place and it's hard. Here's to good friends in new places.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad these packages arrived at such a time for you to help you feel more connected to all of us here. Loved the polka-dotted swimsuit for Olivia and that darling dress for Ashley.!