Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day




I hope that you are all having a wonderful Valentine's Day. We started the day with a traditional breakfast of pancakes and eggs. Usually I have planned better and have the works; juice, bacon, strawberries and whipped cream for the pancakes, etc. The best I could do today was to put red sprinkles on the pancakes, which I had cut into the shape of hearts, and write "I love you" with the ketchup. Hey, not bad for quick thinking. The kids loved it.



Jared surprised me with a gift certificate to a spa, The Body Sanctuary. It's a pretty good amount so I should actually be able to have a massage, as well as a facial. I can't wait to use it! I absolutely love spa treatments. Every woman should be pampered a few times a year. If you don't receive one as a gift- BUY YOURSELF a massage, pedicure, or other treatment. It's so worth it.

I packed Austin's lunch with some cookies in one of the cute Valentine's bags that Jill sent us. He doesn't usually get cookies in his lunch, so this was a treat. I included a note that said "I love you". I also made a little red heart out of paper with "My family loves me. Happy Valentine's Day" on it and pinned it to his shirt. I didn't know what he would think of it but he was really pleased and came home with it still on his shirt! He also had the note from his lunch in his hand and was so proud that he could read it by himself. This made me so happy. I dread the day that my little boy won't give me kisses anymore and won't want to say I love you!



Olivia and I did some birthday shopping for Jared. I can't believe that I trusted her with the secret. It's a matter of time (hours, not days) til she spills the beans, but this was the only time I had to pick up my big gift for him. I think he's really going to love it. Can't wait til Friday!!! Once we got home and put tired Ashley to bed, we made some V-day cookies.




One tradition we have in our family, started by my mom, is to make holiday cookies. I grew up with a million cookie cutters at my fingertips. Thanksgiving, Halloween, St. Patricks Day, Easter... you name it, we had the cookie cutter shape for the holiday. I wish I had such a wonderful stash of cookie cutters. Alas, all I have is some hearts and a set of Christmas cutters. Olivia LOVES baking with me. She put on her adorable apron that her Auntie Lauren gave her for Christmas and went to work. She is a chronic finger-licker however (Jill and Amie I know you are cringing right now) so I had to make her wash her hands EVERY time she did it. I kept insisting that she would not be able to help unless she stopped. Well she seriously must have washed her hands TEN times! She said in this cute voice, "UGH! Why do I keep doing that?!" It was funny. We had a good time anyway and we delivered cookies to my in laws, next door neighbors (Jared's cousin), a girl in the ward whose husband left for China on Monday, and to some others.



We made one of Jared's favorite dinners, meatloaf with mashed potatoes and veggies. We lit some candles and let the kids eat on real plates instead of the "Ikea dinnerware set" aka plastic dishes they usually eat on. What an exciting and romantic dinner, ha ha. Well we all enjoyed it anyway. We watched DVDs later and listened to the rain.

What are you doing for Valentine's Day?

7 comments:

amy gretchen said...

Sounds like a great Valentines. I love breakfast idea. I was rushing to get out the door this morning and still haven't done anything for my kids. I'm waiting til later to ring the door bell with goodies inside.

How luxurious to have a spa day. I'm so jealous of that. I too believe that everyone should be pampered every now and then. I don't plan on one, so I'm giving that too myself for my birthday. I loved doing that last year.

The cookies look yummy despite the finger licking. I think it's funny how she asked why you kept doing it. She's so adorable.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds a lot like our day but we had chicken curry and rice. Cute idea to put cookies in your sons lunch.

Jamie said...

What a nice day! I loved the idea with the ketchup. We'll have to try that next year. I think it is so sweet that Austin came home with your love note in his hand.
Your day sounds a lot like our day: a nice breakfast, cookies, love notes, etc. The only difference was we had a blizzard. (I think I would rather be living near the beach right about now!!)

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! You are such a good mom and a lucky wife! Nice gift!!!!

Bond Girl 007 said...

this might sound gross but what is baking/cooking without tasting! she looks adorable with her apron...how sweet to do things together...I think you are soo lucky to receive that certificate! wow....Alf doesn't really believe in Valentine's so I went out to eat lunch with a girlfriend...always hard to do with kids...while she is on her hour lunch...and then Alf joined us and we went over to a creperie for a sweet crepe! it was fun...but not as fun as getting that wonderful certificate! ENJOY

annalisa said...

Love the holiday cookie memories. It's so fun to make cookies with your kids, even if they do eat all the dough.

Anonymous said...

I just had an epiphany! When you make cookies you give each child a small ball of dough for them to eat slowly. Then maybe they won't be so apt to lick knives, etc. Do you think that will work with Olivia? I miss it so much that I wasn't the one she was baking with!! What a doll Austin is, so proud that he could read your love note and leaving his valentine on his shirt. I miss him terribly.
Kiss Baby Ashley, she'll be one year old tomorrow!