Sunday, February 11, 2007

Are these Birkenstocks?


So I saw someone wearing the cutest sandals the other day. I had to peer closer and was surprised to discover they were Birkenstocks. I usually am not a fan. I am sorry to all those who are lovers of Birkenstocks, but I went to BYU in the 90s. I got so tired of seeing the khaki shorts, denim shirts, rag wool socks and Birkenstocks. So old. Too common. Boring.

Then I saw these cute things. C'mon. Who doesn't love paisley? I love paisley in just about all forms. Sheets. Fabric. Scrapbook paper. Ribbon. I really can't get enough. But pink AND on shoes, now that's a good thing. If any of you know me, you know I love shoes. I would probably go without eating for a week in order to buy a pair of shoes I love. It's ridiculous, I know. But true. The other thing about me is I have awful feet. Flat, long, narrow, freakish toes (see my top 100). So as I get older, comfort is of greater concern. When I was younger I didn't give a hoot about comfort. It was all about fashion, of course. Tall boots, tiny pointy toes, whatever. Like Monica on Friends (The One with the Boots) you have to make sacrifices sometimes.

So I find myself really surprised to be coveting these cute pink paisley Birkenstocks. Who would've thought? I guess I am getting a bit tired of flip flops. We pretty much wear them year round, all the time. I realize that some of you in Utah wear them year round, but I tend to disagree with that. I think it's like morally wrong or something. I have a problem with anyone wearing something open-toed when there is snow on the ground. Call me old fashioned, but it drives me crazy. Anyway, I am looking for a change. I need something to slip on quickly (I'm a mom on-the-go), something that cradles my pathetic, flat feet, and something that still has some style. Am I getting old? Are these sandals hideously ugly? Have I been blinded by age?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm first to respond! Rob, I love them! I think they are so pretty and comfy looking. Start saving and I'll add the rest of your birthday money to that. How much are they, any way?

Elizabeth said...

They are cute. But I always loved Birkenstocks. But I never wore them with socks. I wear slippers (flipflops) all year long also. It is kind of refreshing on Sunday to slpi on a nice pair of shoes for church.

annalisa said...

I hate Birks too. They are cute for Birkenstocks, but not pointy-toed fashion over comfort cute. I hate it when people where flip-flops in the snow too, but sometimes in late fall, early spring when it's a little to chilly for sandals, I can't help myself but wear them when I don't want it to be winter.

amy gretchen said...

I'm not usually a fan either but those are very cute. Love the color and print.

Laurie said...

Ditto to Amy's comment. They're something different to throw in the mix too.

Bond Girl 007 said...

they look colorful and refreshing...i think i have own at least one of the 'copy's' but lately or at least for the last 10 years... I really don't buy anything unless I can say WOW outloud...(of course I do slack sometimes and get stuff I think what was I thinking...) but if it sounds good...go for it!@