Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hallelujah!



Today is Olivia's first day of going to preschool on Fridays. She has been going once a week, on Tuesday, for almost a year. That is the way they do it here. There is no Tuesday/Thursday or MWF format. You pay by the day. The day is a full day, from about 8:30 am - about 4:00 pm (but you can drop them off and pick them up anytime). For that reason, we started out with one day. It costs about $100 per month for that one day per week. It's taken a while to decide to add that second day. It's another $100 per month but I NEED IT SO BADLY. Hence, the victory photo with today's post. I am so happy to have another day of the week to get things done and get a rest from my little 3 year old.

She was such an angel baby and even got through the so-called "terrible twos" without too much drama. However, once she hit 3, it was all downhill. She has just been so difficult; she wants attention all the time (I am sure this had something to do with Ashley's arrival), but she is downright naughty. She pulls and pushes Ashely all over the place. She talks back. She sasses me. She sneaks things out of my purse and out of my bathroom (nailpolish, lipstick, makeup). She writes on important papers. She loses my things. When I can't find my phone or my lipgloss, I have to search through her numerous purses and bags to find them b/c she swears with a straight face that she didn't take them. UGH. I want to love her. I want to enjoy these years. However, it's so hard to do that sometimes!



The worst part is... I was a difficult child. I think I was just as bad, if not worse, for my parents. I hate knowing that I did this to them! On really bad days I think to myself, "Did my mom feel this way about me?" You know, those days you want to strangle them and you have to leave the room before you do something you will regret? I had to do that this morning. I am trying to be more patient (Goal #3). She was terrorizing Ashley, once again, and then hid under the crib so I couldn't chastise her about it. I had to leave the room b/c it just gets me so angry.

Anyway, in my effort to be optimistic and positive (Goal #11) I am posting about this because today I get some freedom. I get to enjoy some time alone. I get to have some silence! I get to do things without someone climbing on my lap and asking what it is and can I play with it and how did you get it and where did you buy it, etc. etc. This is a great day.

4 comments:

amy gretchen said...

It's funny you should post about this. I am in the process of signing Megan up for preschool this fall. It will be so crazy to think of having 3 hours twice a week with no kids. It's been so long.

I'm so happy for you to be getting Olivia in school 1 more day a week. It certainly will make a huge different to you and her. She's so social I bet she'll love the extra day. Happy Day indeed.

Crystalyn said...

hi robyn. thanks for your comment on my blog. i'm shouting an hallelujah with you on that extra day a week. sounds like maybe you both need it. i had a woman tell me once that 3 is the hardest age ever (she had older children when she said it). i thought to myself that it was strange...2 maybe, but 3? but i think that with 2 there still is a learning process going on of them understanding us and us understanding them. whereas, 3 it seems like there is more understanding but still some fight for independence. anyhow, her comment rings more true to me now that my little guy is 4 and seems to be sooo much easier. preschool made a big difference for him too. hang in there. and LOVE your extra day!

p.s. do you like living overseas? i grew up overseas...it has the greatest benefits, but also has some pretty unique challenges.

Jill said...

That money will be well worth it! What a great plan to have all-day preschool. Olivia has such a strong personality and is so demanding of your attention that I'm sure you both (and Ashley) will benefit from her having outside adventures twice a week. Score!

Anonymous said...

Wow, do you have your hands full, and more that I thought! No, I never went through anything like this. You are a great mom and don't doubt it. I'm so glad you are walking away instead of getting angry. This too shall pass
.....in a few years. Ha!