Thursday, January 18, 2007

Random thoughts



I haven't had much time to blog this week, but here is some of what's been going on and what I have been thinking about:

1. I am so happy that gas prices have come down to 95 cents per litre yesterday! When we arrived a year ago it was $1.30 per litre and it came down a little in the past few months to about $1.10 per litre. I was so excited to ONLY pay $44.00 to fill up my car yesterday.



2. Olivia has been really naughty this week and is really challenging me. I am trying so hard to NOT yell and not make her feel like she is a bad child. My goal is to love her unconditionally and show her that she is a good girl, just not making good choices.

3. Our friend Andrew burned a disc of the first 6 episodes of 30 Rock so I am excited to watch it this weekend. We are finally getting Ugly Betty soon but there is so much we are missing out on! I don't know why they don't have more of the good American shows here. At least we have a connection. Andrew burns a lot of the other good shows too.

4. I am glad that Grey's Anatomy won some awards the other night but I am SO annoyed with Isaiah Washington who can't seem to keep his mouth shut. It annoyed me that he ruined the moment.

5. I have been running almost every day, sometimes every other day and really enjoying it. Today I ran 7k and my time was 33:40 so I was very happy. Tomorrow I want to do a 10k run but I will have to try and fit it in with our schedule (saturday). I just love my Mizunos and I really believe that they are a reason that I have been able to increase my mileage b/c other brands that I have worn weren't as good and I would always have problems with my feet (plantar fascitis) or knees or whatever. The Runners Corner in Orem also helped me to go up in size to a 9.5 even though I wear an 8 shoe. It was hard to get used to at first, but now I see that I need the room to keep my feet happy. They recommend this for everyone.

With all this running I find that I need some more songs in my Exercise Mix. Anyone have any suggestions? I have found that there are songs I enjoy in my Ex. Mix that I would not necessarily listen to normally, like "Where Do you Go" by No Mercy. I just cannot listen to slow, mellow music while I run.



6. I am loving the cookbook that Jared got me for Christmas, Donna Hay's "The instant cook". All my meals this week except for tacos were out of this book and we ate so well! It was nice that I could even use some of the ingredients in other meals between. Like for one salad, I cooked sweet potato and I later used it in some pasta. One pasta recipe called for rocket, or arugula, and I later made a salad for my lunch using it. I hate buying special ingredients for a recipe when you only use 1 cup or a sprig of cilantro or whatever and the rest gets wasted. Some of the meals we had this week were Simmered Red Curry Chicken, Penne with Arugula and Prosciutto, Toasted Pine Nut and Sweet Potato Salad, etc. I still plan to make Ginger Pork Stir Fry this weekend. I love good cookbooks! (Britney you would LOVE this one!)

7. I had Jared take a photo of me and Ashley this week. I feel like she is getting so big and I hardly have any pictures of us together. It was so hard to look at it. I have so many wrinkles! I am 32 this year and I feel like my face is shriveling up. I don't want to be one of those people who won't take pictures but...



8. Austin's school books arrived the other day. I love the fact that I can get online and order the whole pack and pay one fee. It saves running around getting 12 pencils, 4 notebooks, 4 glue sticks, ruler, etc. He was very excited that the package came addresses to him and the delivery lady even had him sign the little electronic thing.




9. I let Austin choose some contact paper to cover his books with and it was Hot Wheels. It wasn't until we got home and started putting it on that I realized it had graffiti-look designs on it. What the...? Why would a children's company design such a thing? Great. Lets glorify graffiti. I was annoyed.

10. It's only one month until Ashley's first birthday! I can't believe it's gone so fast.

11. That said, it's only 3 months until MY birthday (and Olivia's) so if you want to send something by the slow boat, you'd better get it in the mail now (ha ha).

12. Warning- this is really disgusting... I think I got lice from my kids. It's really common here, I guess b/c of the hot weather and the fact that all kids at school have to wear hats... I am not sure, but it GROSSES me out to a degree I can't even describe and to even think I have got it now kills me. I have bleached and tried to sterilize but how do you get rid of those pests?! I am going to have to get the toxic stuff to put on my hair and comb through it with one of those tiny combs. The only good part is that my hair is so thick it might be a good way to thin it!

13. I have been really good about my goal to be more social. We went to two different friends' houses last Fri and Sat for dinner, I went to the ward beach walk on Tues morning and then had lunch at one of the girl's houses that day, we were invited to a friend's on Wed to play, and I invited 3 other moms over today to play and frost cupcakes. It's been busy but it's been a lot of fun!

Well I guess this list could go on and on. I find that my mind is so full lately. When I ran this morning the 35 minutes just flew by b/c my brain was buzzing.

4 comments:

michelle said...

That's a lot of info, Robyn! Yikes on the gas prices. It now only costs me about $38 to fill up my van, instead of the $50 it used to be.

I have a child I am constantly struggling with, too, and trying to get him to understand that he is not a bad boy, he just does some bad things. So hard to get them to understand.

I didn't watch the Globes so I don't know what Isaiah Washington said!

That cookbook sounds so fabulous! My mouth is watering after reading about the recipes you made last week, I'm gonna have to check that one out.

Double yikes on the lice! Jessie got it when she was in grade school and it was a nightmare. My mom had to comb through her thick hair with that tiny comb, as well as washing everything in the house! Hope you get it under control soon.

Jill said...

I don't know how I missed this post, I hate it when that happens.

Olivia is quite the cheeky child, you've definitely met your match. I wish you good luck and great inspiration so that you can mother her without killing yourself. (I mean this in the best way.)

I love 30 Rock, it's so funny. Pretty much everything Alec Baldwin says makes me laugh.

Way to go with the running, that's awesome. It's bizarre that the running place advises buying shoes so much bigger than usual, but that could be why my feet always hurt in shoes like that.

Where is the photo of you and Ashley?

So is Austin about to start a new school year? I'm confused.

I think I've finally figured out the whole international mail situation. I definitely won't be sending heavy Laffy Taffys this year. (Will you be emailing a wish list? What about for Jared, Ashley & Olivia too.)

Congrats on being more social!

Anonymous said...

So many things to respond to...

You are a running inspiration to me. I will eventually like running! :)

I too have been struggling with a child...Max. He was so naughty in church yesterday (Jonathon is out of town), that several people came up to me afterward and asked if I was okay and told me that I needed a break this week and I should drop my kids off at their house. Now, if his behavior wasn't embarassing enough, that sure clinched it. If you come up with any solutions, PLEASE share!

That cookbook looks great! You'll have to share a few of your favorites!

As for the lice,...I have to admit that when I read it I laughted out loud a little bit only b/c I can imagine how much that must gross you out. However, I am sincerely sorry you have lice! :)I miss you! I love reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I loved being filled in about all that's going on in your new world down under. I find it hard to believe you can actually run better and longer in shoes that are 1 1/2 sizes bigger than normal!! I applaud your dedication to showing love to Olivia in spite of her actions and teaching her that it's her actions that are wrong choices. That really takes a mother's love, doesn't it? And where IS the photo of you and Ashley? Wow, talk about social butterfly!!!! You don't have to meet ALL of your New Year's goals in the first month!