
Well Lori and Jared finally got back on Saturday morning. I had a surprisingly good week without them. That's not to say that I was happy they were gone... I just tried really hard to have fun with the kids and keep a good attitude. It went great until Friday when Austin was off school and all I heard was "I'm bored!" all day long! We rode bikes, watched a DVD, played games but it was a long day. UGH. It about killed me. Anyway, we didn't do anything fun on Saturday b/c I was doing pre-Father's day prep and grocery shopping then Jared had to have a meeting with someone from work b/c he left AGAIN today for Coff's Harbor (4 hrs south) for a week and they had to go over stuff. I don't know what he looks like anymore! Tonight at FHE Olivia said the prayer and said, "Bless Daddy that he can come home safe and that he will sleep here and not go anymore." How sad.

Sunday was a nice Father's Day at least (in Australia). We went to the Tweed Heads ward, which Jared's parents and sister Katherine and family attend. It was nice to go to 9 am church rather than 1 pm. We went to lunch at Kate's house after. We had both made a curry and I brought Tiramisu and she made Apple turnovers. The kids had fun playing and everyone sort of hung out sleepy and lazy. We played Conga (the Cranium game) with the kids and later had a little walk/play along the beach since Katherine and Daniel live like 100 meters from the shore at Casuarina. It's a public beach, technically, but there are no lifeguards and it's utterly deserted. It was a nice but windy day, we didn't stay long.
Today Jared went into work at 6am to do some prep for his trip this week. He left this evening for Coffs. Lori and I took Olivia to gymnastics, picked up her money from last week's work and then went to Pacific Fair mall so she could get a few things she has had her eye on. We had lunch there then picked up Austin from school. We received Mom's package from Easter time, finally. It's been a long journey but we got it. Thanks Mom!


Right after we picked up Austin I got a call from Mum on my cell. She told me that Steve Irwin died today. I couldn't believe it. It was weird to think that such an energetic, charismatic soul could die at such a young age. He is such an icon. I immediately felt for his cute little family and thought about how Terri would tell the kids that their dad had died. It's so sad. Apparently she was in Tasmania with the kids and he was up north near the Reef shooting a documentary about killer animals when he got stung by a sting ray right in the chest. They think the barbs may have punctured his heart and he died instantly, but that's just preliminary reports. Tonight one of the talk shows replayed an old interview with him. It was so good. He is just so uninhibited, so real. You feel like you KNOW him when you see him talk. I think that is why people connect with him and love him so much. He told some really funny stories including the fact that he and his wife never consummated the marriage on their wedding night b/c he was so nervous! So funny. She must have loved that. Also said that he didn't wear underwear for a year when they were trying to conceive a boy (baby Bob) b/c it's important for the testicles to be 'cool'. At that point, the interviewer said, "We're getting into the 'too much information' zone." He just laughed and kept talking about his testicles, special techniques, and diet, etc. The interviewer then said, "Are you ever down? or is this Steve Irwin?" He said "No, this is me." Then he said "I have been down..." and he talked about how he lost his mom in a car accident years ago and what a huge impact it had on his life. He said it reminded him how important family is. He said his parents are absolutely everything to him and he lost a part of himself when his mum died. What a tragedy. What is his wife feeling right now? What a shock. It reminds me how fragile life is and how even someone like Steve Irwin, who seems so invincible, can be gone in a heartbeat. It made me think that I need to value those around me more and treat each day like it's the last time I see them. I have been thinking of his family all day and how devastated they must be. What an irreplaceable personality. Truly unique.
5 comments:
I'm glad you survived your week without Lori and Jared (I'm still wigged that they had to share a hotel room). I'm impressed you managed to stay enthusiastic and positive most of that time.
I'm seriously sad about Steve Irwin's death. I read about it on the MSN home page today and just felt shocked and sad. He's an icon so it's hard to imagine the world without him. I feel badly for his family especially.
I heard about Steve Irwin today, too. Such a freak accident. It's always strange when someone dies so young; I immediately thought of his poor wife and young children. My heart goes out to them.
You have the right attitude Rob, and that makes all the difference in the world. Play with the kids and keep busy and stay in touch with the spirit to guide you and keep you in tune. I didn't hear about Steve's passing until late last night from Lynne. I am so sad for his wife and kids. He was such a genuine personality. I'm relieved you finally received the Easter pkg.
I thought Olivia's prayer was so cute, even if it was a little sad. It is amazing how much young kids are aware of and how much kids miss their parents. Zane will sometimes ask Andy not to go to work. Steve Irwin's death is so sad. The first thing I thought about were his wife and young kids. It is so tragic.
I was also shocked that Steve died. I was at the gym reading (CC) an interview of him with Matt Lauer, obviously taped and at the end it showed his picture with the death date. I couldn't believe it and wanted to know what happened to him. Couldn't believe it when I heard it was a sting ray. SHOCKING.
I can't believe your mom told you. didn't it happend in AU?
So glad you are doing great and spirits are high. Never easy parenting alone. Sounds like you are finding the best way for you while Jared is gone.
Post a Comment