Thursday, August 31, 2006

Another rainy day



Well today was another VERY rainy day here on the Gold Coast. This was the view from my kitchen window today. I know that we really need it, but it's hard to go out with kids when it's pouring. At least Olivia had preschool today, so that was one less child to worry about. She is growing up so much- such a girl. She loves her Care Bear backpack and insists on putting it on even though we have to take it off as soon as we get in the car to leave. I love that her hair is long enough to braid (even if it's still thin, baby hair).





After taking Olivia to preschool, we dropped Austin off at school. I dropped him at the curb since it was raining and I can watch him go into his classroom from there- it's just inside the gate. He obviously feels very independent and old when I do this because he'll say with a nonchalant "I'm a big kid" kind of voice, "Just drop me here Mom, it's no big deal." I love that. It's so much easier for me than getting Ashley (and usuallly Olivia) out of the car for a 2 minute drop off.

Once Austin was taken care of, it was just me and Ashley. How strangely empty and quiet it is without them. I called the gym at that point b/c I was hoping to get into the Kid's Club for 9am spot but they were all booked. I really am not happy about the set-up there, but I will spare you. I went home since Ashley was tired and I dejectedly knew that I would have to do the gym thing at 10:30 b/c that is when they would have an opening (the 10:30 is never full for obvious reasons). I vacuumed, cleaned up, did laundry, etc. Ashley never went to sleep for some reason. I fed her a bottle at 9:45 in anticipation of my gym visit then left at 10:15 to stop by a Salt City candle/lingerie party at fellow American and Mudgeeraba ward member, Shirley Henniger's house.



The lingerie part of the event is a company called Intimo that does home parties here. It's pretty funny b/c at these parties you end up with lots of women stripping down to try on bras and nighties. I wanted to get fitted since my size has obviously changed (not in a good way) in recent months since weaning Ashley. They have a "Dream Bra" I was interested in. I left the party at 11:15 so that I could get to the gym in time to put Ashley in the second session which ends at 12pm. (The kids club is only open 9-12 so the sessions are 9-10:30 or 10:30-12). I had a good 40 minute workout, picked up my freshly rested Ashley from the kids club, then went back to the party for some food. I had refrained from filling up on the good stuff since I was on my way to workout. Calories burned, I went back to eat! A bit self-defeating perhaps, but at least my heart had a workout, right?






Came home, showered, fed Ashley, went to get Austin. Picked up Austin and went to Robina shopping center. A few weeks ago I promised him that we could look for a book on Egypt and we're just now getting to it. I love that he wants to learn about other people and places. Also, I thought a shopping trip without Olivia sounded delightful. That way it was more about him too. Luckily, we found a perfect book on sale for just $4.95. It talks about what a boy's life in Egypt 4,500 years ago would have been like, in first person. It gives activities you can do, like making fig treats (no thanks), a paper mummy sarcophagus, amulet necklace, etc. He loved it. We also got some Father's Day gifts b/c this Sunday is Australia's Father's day. At Target I reluctantly bought Olivia a few shirts since she's like the Incredible Growing Girl this year. This is the third set of shirts I have bought for her since we got here 8 mo ago! When we arrived she was in a 2, we've gone through 3, and now she's in 4. She has left toddlerhood at a sprint! Luckily the shirts were all 20% off and 3 of them were just $6.99 to start with. Thank goodness for Target.



Oh, I forgot to mention that we got SOAKED going into the shopping center. I parked above-ground since I knew there would be no spaces below and I don't mind getting a little wet. Little did I know that the monsoon would hit once I got out of the car. I had no sooner opened my door and gotten the stroller out when it came down. My sweet Austin was putting on his shoes inside and didn't quite get that whole "PLEASE HURRY" concept. By the time I got him out and Ashley in the stroller my pants were wet half way up my legs and I was damp all over. My hair was soaked. Oh well, what can you do? We had a good laugh about it and he tried to use it as an excuse to get out of his bath tonight. Very clever.

About 4pm we went to get Olivia at preschool. She had all kinds of cute paintings and art projects done including something for Father's Day. She yelled "Goodbye! See ya next week!" to all her friends and teachers and we left. Once home, the kids wanted to watch a show, played, read books then we had a normal dinner of homemade pepperoni pizza and they had Laffy Taffy for dessert. I guess I am feeling a bit guilty about my tofu surprise from yesterday. My kids DO eat normal food most of the time.

We watched Australian Idol after dinner. My kids are really into it. It's cute. I am amazed by how talented some of the singers are. It's way better than the American one. The American one is all right but a few of these people are unbelievable. Really exceptional. I think Lisa Mitchell is awesome. She is 16 and she sang Ben Harper's "Diamonds on the Inside" and it was better than his version. One of the judges told her that he thinks she might be THE best artist to ever come out of Australia. Pretty good when you consider that he told another girl her performance was "dog vomit". I also think Bobby Flynn is really talented. I bet one of these two will win.



After that we read our latest book, Charlotte's Web. We're on Chapter five. I love reading a book, one chapter a night, to the kids. Austin and I read The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe months ago and he loved it. Olivia loses interest sometimes but this one is great b/c the chapters are short and there are some pictures in it. I have been compiling a list of books I consider "classic" such as Charlotte's Web. If you have any suggestions as to what else I should add, please share.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, that was a seriously full day! I'm sorry the rain messes with your errands, but it looks good to me.

Are you missing Lori and Jared or is it nice to have a break? When do they get home?

It's hard to imagine Olivia being the incredible-growing girl.

I can't imagine being at a party where people were stripping down to try on bras and nighties, bizarre.

Anonymous said...

So fun to re-live your day with you. I remember days like that. Do you remember, Rob, when we lived in CA that we'd get the kitchen all cleaned in the am before school and then sit in the pit and I'd read one chapter of some great book? Most of the time Ryan and Lisa O'Connell would come over too. It so great that the kids love books. I loved it that Austin tried to explain the need for a bath after the "shower". He's a cutie.

Laurie said...

I enjoyed your post. I think Olivia's braids are super cute. My husband experienced the rain when he tried to ski in Australia last week. They got drenched, so they had to give up on the skiing pretty quick.

amy gretchen said...

so nice to know what's going on in your life. i've done the errands in the rain before and it doesn't go well with my tess. she ends up crying almost the whole time. i'll never know why all the sudden she's afraid of the weather.

i love the book and the movie.

love the photos of the kids.

Jill said...

I forgot to say how much I love Charlotte's Web. I read that to the kids a couple years ago and still cried at the ending. That book is timeless and wonderful.

michelle said...

I love Olivia's little braids! Thank goodness for Target is right -- how often I have thought that, moreso when you're in Australia, eh? And what's up with Ashley being freshly-rested after you going to the gym? Did she actually sleep there? What a deal!