
Well today was my last day to announce the upcoming activity. I hate that I feel stressed before church, like when you have to give a talk. I have this apprehensive feeling in my stomach. I want to say the right thing- not come across too obnoxious or overly excited (then everyone looks at you like you're crazy). I didn't want my RS president to say "this is a Visiting teaching workshop, you are all required to attend" but did she restrain herself? oh no. She said it. I was cringing in my chair. I was thinking "OH NO! Now no one is going to come!" Isn't that horrible of me? I shouldn't have such a bad attitude, but come on... how many of us are drawn to attend something that is described as a VT training which "you are required to attend at least once a year as part of your calling as a Visiting Teacher". I am sorry, but I just don't think that is going to get people up and motivated about being a Visiting teacher. Isn't there enough guilt already involved? She was quite grim about it. Why not just line us up and tie the noose around our necks. just kidding. I know, I shouldn't be so dramatic, but I am working hard to make this fun and exciting. I did share a quote from "A Heart like His" book by Virginia Pearce to give them a little taste of what I would be talking about. My little portion is only like 15 minutes, I think, so it's not too stressful. I just want to explain the Open your Heart challenge and hopefully the Spirit will be there. We all need to soften our hearts, even me. I have noticed this week as I have been reading the book that my heart is closed and I often have the tendency to judge others quickly or to focus on the negative aspects of a person or situation. It's hard to get over this habit, isn't it? I hate that I am pessimistic but there I go again! Hating something about myself, why that is pessimistic in itself. I am trying, at least I am trying. I really think this book can be life-changing if one really applies the principles with prayer and daily efforts. I am hoping that I will feel a difference in my life. I know that I need to do this and I will see the results in my family and in my daily activities, my daily outlook. I will be leaving for Melbourne the day after the activity so I will try and post the report that night if I can. Wish me luck and pray that lots of people come! (Just so you know why I am concerned about the turnout- the last Enrichment activity I went to there were FIVE people in attendance). I will be happy if there are ten people who are not required to be there.
7 comments:
I am anxious for you! I can't believe the RS president said that -- no wonder no one's excited about visiting teaching... I hope your message can turn them around. Please let us know how it all turns out! Good luck.
I love the quote. Could you put your relief society on the prayer role. I know that sounds funny, but maybe just softening their hearts. I know that you will be blessed for doing your calling. I hope it turns out well, and I love the name. Good luck
Robyn, I am going to have to get back on the Open Heart bandwagon. I'm afraid I've been lacking a bit in my focus. I'll have to keep working on it w/ you and report. I love your approach. You know, it only takes one person like you to make a difference. We've had a great Enrichment leader who has made our Enrichment nights so cute and interesting that we get a good 60 people out. And it's the efforts of one person who make it possible. So I think it's great that you are dreaming big and working hard. Even if you get a few, that will a few more that make a difference.
Wow, only 5 people to the last enrichment meeting, what's going on there? Do the people live far from the church? Is everyone too busy? Does no one feel responsible? I'm baffled.
I was the RS enrichment coordinator in our ward and I understand your pain. It is so hard to make activities fun and interesting, when they are presented so grimly. But, I cannot believe you have such a small turnout. How many people are in your RS? I hope this activity goes well for you. Good luck.
There are about 65 women in the RS. I don't know why no one comes. The things are announced but I think part of the problem is that our RS President doesn't seem to care herself. It's rare that the presidency is even there- maybe one of them will show up for the activity but only b/c it's at her house. i don't get it. We only live about 10-15 from church, some might be closer. No one feels responsible at all- maybe that is the problem. Do you see why I have a bad attitude now? (not that these factors make it ok...)
Well, you have motivated me to do my visiting teaching! I'm sure that someone will be touched at your meeting...how could they not be? You are so genuine and sincere and you have worked so hard, I am sure that the spirit will be with you to nudge them into doing some VT.
(BTW, your poster was really cute. Is Bronwyn a popular name in Australia? If I EVER have a girl, which may be never, but if I ever do, that name is definitely on the top of my list.)
Post a Comment