
This is the reason that missionaries in Thailand get fat. Once you try it, you'll understand why you just can't say no. It's delicious. Recipe to follow.
My Thai class is over. After 8 weeks of lessons, we had our last class on Wednesday night. Our teacher, Robyn, set up a beautiful banquet table for us, classic Thai style. Each member of our class made a dish we had learned and brought it to share. I made fried rice. I picked an easy one b/c we had the missionaries for dinner that night and I didn't want to be making two whole dinners. We also had Tom Yum, Tom Kaa Guy, Khay Jeow, Coconut Rice, Curry Puffs, Spring Rolls, Satay Chicken, and Mangoes with Sticky Rice. Needless to say, I was about to pop by the time we were done!


I am glad that I was given this cooking course for a birthday gift. It was a lot of fun to go out every Wednesday night and do something for myself. I enjoyed getting to know the people in the class. This photo is missing a few, but from L-R Gail, me, Sue, Carline, Emma and Pam.

I also enjoyed learning new recipes and increasing my confidence in my cooking ability. However, I think Jared has doubted his choice in bday gifts because he is so sick of Thai food! The other day he requested "anything that isn't Asian or Thai". So I made him a good 'ol meat and potatoes kind of dish. After all, he is the Potato King.
Our teacher, Robyn (on the left in photo below) was a lot of fun. She is not a member of the church, although 9 out of 10 taking the class were members! She loves LDS people and employs quite a few from our ward including Pam (pink sweater) and many of Pam's kids in her catering business. It's interesting how those missionary opportunities are so much more abundant being outside of Utah. Robyn knows a lot about the church through Pam and showed a lot of respect for us. Like on the last night when her husband pulled out the wine for our banquet and she said, "Oh, honey, they don't drink!" with a laugh.
Mangoes and Sticky Rice recipe
1 pound glutinous rice (sticky rice)
1 can coconut cream or coconut milk
6 large mangoes
4 T. sugar
2 t. salt
roasted sesame seeds for garnish
To make sticky rice, cover and soak in water overnight, or at the very least for one hour before preparing. Steam for 30-45 minutes. Fluff the rice often during cooking. Meanwhile, peel mangoes and cut mangoes into slices. Boil the coconut cream (if you use coconut milk be sure to skim cream off the top and set aside) along with the sugar and salt. Once the milk has thickened, allow to cool slightly. Toast sesame seeds in a pot on high heat to roast quickly. Pour the coconut milk *gradually* over the sticky rice or you will drown it and it will lose its texture. Add mango slices. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5 comments:
This looks sooo good! Can you cook the rice in a rice cooker or is it better to do it on the stove? Your class sounded so fun- I hope to be able to do something like that sometime.
It sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad you took your camera along to document. I think its great you were able to take the class and enjoying making the food. I would have probably just taken the class and not bothered to try. Well done.
I think it's really funny jared is asking for plan old food. Got to love it.
Yes...that is the scrumptious culprit that caused me to gain more than a couple pounds in Thailand. I can't wait to try your recipe!
The rice has to be steamed. I have a large pot that has a vegetable steamer 'tray' that you set in, so that works for me. You need just a couple inches of boiling water beneath it to steam the rice.
To do it the traditional Thai way, you use a cone shaped basket and a metal pot with a large round bottom and narrow neck. (Could be found at an Asian supermarket) You set the basket inside the pot holding the boiling water and wrap the rice in muslin inside the basket. Wrap kitchen towel around the top to seal it. Turn the rice once during cooking.
It's so cool that you took that class and that it was so long and involved. Even though I have no interest in Thai food, I still like seeing the dishes that you make and looking at the recipes, and I think it's cool that you're documenting it on here.
Post a Comment