Friday, June 02, 2006

Don't you just love 'em?



My sweet little Olivia was playing in my car yesterday, unbeknownst to me, and left the lights on inside. So this morning when I got in the car to go at 10am to a birthday party with Olivia and Ashley, my car was dead. Completely dead. It didn't even make a sound when I turned the key, at all. Don't you just love that? You've timed it all right... baby just fed, Olivia is buckled in and gift is wrapped. But no, the car was dead, and it took me 40 minutes (after jumping the car, settling the kids back in and driving there) to get to the party that started at 10am. I thought they would start without us, so I didn't call. I felt like such a fool when we arrived and they had waited to start the games!

Since we only ever park my car in the garage, there was hardly any room to get the other car into the garage to jump it. It was the tightest squeeze you can imagine. On the left side the car was touching the Rubbermaid storage bins we have in there and on the right it was like INCHES from my car to his. I can't believe we even pulled it off, actually. I wouldn't have been brave enough to try it, but Jared was.



Of course I had to grab my camera to document the comedy of the situation. Meanwhile, Jared was yelling at Olivia (who was climbing around the car with him) about playing in my car and saying "This is all your fault!" I am sure she didn't quite understand what he was talking about.... But later I had a talk with her to explain what happened. I said, "You know how your Leapster and your flashlight die if you leave them on? Well my car has a battery too. Since you played with the lights the battery died." She said "Oh, sorry Mommy." Cute, but still very frustrating.

We had a good time at the party but since I had just jumped it, then drove only 5 minutes to get there and shut it off... guess what happened? It had to be jumped again when I left! UGH. So, I had to get two guys from the party to help me jump it again (with Ashley screaming in the car b/c by now she was ready to eat again). Luckily, I still had the jumper cables on the front seat!

Hope your Saturday morning goes smoother than mine!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man...I hate jumping cars. Glad your husband was at least home and able to help you out. I always tend to run into car trouble when my husband is at work or school- luckily he has taught me a thing or two about cars while he works on them. Glad it all turned out okay and hopefully Olivia got the connection with the battery thing and this doesn't happen again. Good times...

Laurie said...

Ugh. Major bummer of a morning!

It looks like you like to cook and try new recipes like me. I'm not a really good cook, but my favorite thing is to try new recipes. I go for really simple stuff though like recipes I find in Kraft Food & Family magazine. Sometimes I get a little more gourmet, but probably not nearly like you.

Jill said...

What a pisser, especially when you're in a hurry to be somewhere. I love it that you took pictures though, and can't believe how close Jared was able to get the 2 cars together. Wow. Every time annoying little things like that happen it reminds me of playing the boardgame "Life" because real life is exactly like that isn't it? We get our payday, we move forward, we're have some major events, then wham the car battery dies, we have a huge medical bill to pay, or some other life incident that takes a few more steps back. Kind of funny.

michelle said...

I hate when that happens! And it always happens when you need to get somewhere soon, too. I hope the rest of your day was uneventful (in a good way).