Tuesday, June 20, 2006

ANZAC biscuits



There are some foods I could do without, here in Australia, like meat pies and lamb. However, one thing I really like are Anzac biscuits. ANZAC stands for Australian-New Zealand Army Corps. From what I understand, back during the first World War, women made these biscuits for the troops since they last a long time and do not require eggs. They are meant to be pretty crunchy and dark brown, but you can cook them less time if you like your cookies chewy.

Ingredients

1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats, uncooked
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp golden syrup (honey or molasses)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp boiling water

Combine the flour, oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..
Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water then add to the butter and Golden Syrup.
Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven 350F, for 15-20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Hope you like them!

6 comments:

michelle said...

Interesting, Robyn! I have a recipe for these, and I even bought some cane syrup when we went to New Orleans. However, I have never gotten around to trying them. I certainly never knew what ANZAC stood for! I guess I'll have to finally make them now.

Jamie said...

I had always wondered what ANZAC biscuits were. Thanks for the recipe. I am excited to try it out. It sounds yummy. I am assuming that "dessicated" coconut is the same as shredded coconut?

Jamie said...

One more thing. I recommend you guys rent the movie "Gallipoli". One of Mel Gibson's firsts, it talks all about the ANZAC troops. Very good, but very sad. Your hubbies will like it because it is a war flick.

Laurie said...

Thanks for sharing. Yes, what is dessicated coconut?

Robyn said...

Sorry, dessicated coconut is actually smaller than shredded. It's like tiny bits, almost powder. I am sure it wouldn't really matter, though. I probably would like shredded instead b/c then you could taste it more. The cane syrup that Michelle is talking about is probably like the "golden syrup" that we have here in Australia. It's not quite honey, has more of a molasses taste, but light (not like black-strap molasses). So, I think any of those subsitutes would work. I really like them. Also, I should mention, that the recipe makes about 1 1/2 dozen, not too many, because they are dense. Have fun with that.

michelle said...

Oh, they have that kind of coconut in France! I love to put it on croissants with Nutella. Yum.... I think I may have seen that kind at Shepherd's Cake & Candy, for those of you who live in UT.