Friday, April 07, 2006

Enrichment assignment


Ok, so our home teachers came last night. (Well, he came with his wife anyway) She is a personal trainer and in charge of the Enrichment activity later this month. I told her it sounded interesting, and then Jared mentioned that we both have related degrees from BYU. Suddenly I found myself being put in charge of part of her lesson- surprise. I said, "Sure, I would be glad to help".

I guess it's going to be about health from a wholistic viewpoint- physical, mental, diet, etc. I am covering the diet portion. I need all of your help b/c I want to make it interesting and cover the types of things that people want to know, things that will actually help them to get results or help them in their day to day life. PLEASE give me suggestions. What do you find inhibits you from reaching your weight goals... or if you aren't trying to lose weight, what prevents you from eating as well as you'd like to? If the topic usuallly bores you, then tell me what WOULD make it interesting? Do you want healthy receipes? Suggestions for feeding your family better? Do you want to know how many calories are in certain foods? I would appreciate your replies. Kaylyn, if you are reading this, I may need some of your resources b/c I didn't bring a lot of my nutrition books I have been saving for years :-(

It's not until the end of the month and it's only 15 minutes of the lesson, but I still want to make it worthwhile for those who are there. Can't wait to hear what you have to say!

5 comments:

Jill said...

I think the thing that's hardest for me is knowing what to buy. I mean, I buy grapes, apples, oranges, and baby carrots--but I don't know about healthy snack foods.

I'd also like a realistic life-changing plan for action. With walking as the main exercise, balanced eating (without being extreme), and maybe some good dinner recipes.

That's what comes to mind from me.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Choices I make. I think that is the bottom line. Thin people make healthy choices and heavy people make tasty choices...jejeje (higher calorie choices). I think it is a balance but knowing that you can't do one without the other (meaning eat healthy and exercise) to be at an optimum. One choice I made like 7 or 8 years ago was to cook only with Olive Oil and that has increased my good cholesterol...so that is good; but here in America I think we should all work with our portions...I don't know how they are in Australia...but here they are enourmous! and that is the difference from Europeans (when I lived in Spain) that eat everything!!! and still enjoy a slim/healthy figure with all their walking. So here move more and eat less but of everything!
ps...being a mom of a 7 month old now....wow....sometimes I just fuel my escape to get an In and Out burger....I just can't help it, but as soon as I have a little time alone/car/keys/no kids...I just go an treat myself...and I think it is okay occasionally but when I overdue it, then I have to pay the price....so finding other outlets of releasing stress (like yours I love to think of going to the gym to relax) and since I have been reading your blog...it has definately been working on my head to get there before my tasty burger!

Robyn said...

Thanks for your comments guys... I really like hearing how other people perceive the whole issue. Feel free to write down things that DO work for you as well. I would love to have a list of suggestions like that.

Bond Girl 007 said...

Things that do work...is probably walking...I usually take the kids for an hour....I usually don't buy junk food (once in awhile)...I am starting weight lifting and by toddler insisted in doing it with me (TV VIDEO) but he couldn't handle the 3lb weights...so I went and bought him 1 pound weights so he could still do it, without him getting tired...and I was just thinking of that 21 day challenge that Jill is doing...as well as the creative working on a habit you would like to form...I think that is an excellent Idea...and not so much as a one time thing...but say doing one challenge, letting pass a couple weeks and starting another one...and then the whole year will go through with several good forming habits..hopefully!

michelle said...

My problem is that I get hungry, and it seems faster and easier to reach into the cookie jar than to find a healthy snack. For some reason, I have a hard time getting myself to eat fruit, even though I like it! I love salads and wish I had them more often. Maybe if I had some more good recipes for salads... and prepared the ingredients in advance?

Another problem is that it seems like everywhere you go, people celebrate and socialize with food (and it's not healthy food). So there is always something going on that challenges your willpower.

It's been a long time since I've exercised and I can really feel it in my body. So hard to fit it in with a baby. Maybe we can start taking walks now that spring seems to be here (crossing my fingers).

What does help me is writing down every single thing I eat. When I am consistent about doing this, I feel much more accountable for my choices. When I get lazy about it, I find I am eating much more without really realizing it.