Friday, March 24, 2006

Friends again




Things have been alot better with Olivia. I think the fact that I bought her a pack of new Dora undies (see upper right photo)put me on her good side. She was seriously gushing. She said, "Thank you Mommy. Thanks for getting me these Dora undies. I love them. I love ALL of them!" She hugged them to her chest. It was so funny. I have been a lot more calm in dealing with her tantrums. Two tactics have worked for me, 1. Distraction. I will say "Hey, guess what?" right in the middle of her tantrum and quickly think of anything that sounds remotely exciting like "Should we go see if Playschool is on?" (Its a children's show on TV) or "Where is your blankie?" She immediately forgets that she was supposed to be throwing a tantrum. 2. Choices. I offer her two choices that both make me happy. I think I read this in a book once. She didn't want to take her temperature today, so I said, "Do you want to put it under your arm or should I do it?" (Yes, I need one of those fancy ear ones that are a lot faster, but I don't have one). She obviously always chooses the option where SHE gets to do it and we're both happy.

I made a list of all the funny, sassy things she said to me in the past few days. Here's the list:
1. Do your ears work?
2. You're not the mom!
3. Do you want me to spank your bum?
4. You're not the boss!
5. I'm not listening to you
6. I'm the mom!
7. You're a wally!
8. Leave me alone

4 comments:

Jill said...

It's comforting to read that you've got some tactics for dealing with Olivia. She's quite a character and seems like she's 3 going on 17. The pictures are adorable, I'm so glad you're posting multiples for us to see. Good luck with her sassiness, it's great that you're writing things down and finding humor in it.

amy gretchen said...

Who knew olivia was so sassy. Funny to read, though I am sure not so fun to hear. We missed you at Bella's party today. ALOT!

michelle said...

I love those photos. I'm sure those things she's been saying are a lot funnier in retrospect than in real time! p.s. what's a wally?

Robyn said...

FYI a "wally" is basically a dork. ie "You are such a wally!" or "Don't be a wally!" Could also be substituted with "git" as in "You silly git".