Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Recipe 1

Spicy Tilapia and Corn Salsa (adapted from Rachel Ray)














4 fillets of tilapia
coarse salt and pepper, to taste
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lime
1/2 med red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, seeded and chopped (I didn't have any)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

Season tilapia on both sides with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Heat skillet with 1 Tbsp EVOO on med-high heat. Saute tilapia 3 minutes each side, turning carefully. Squeeze 1/2 of lime juice over fish and transfer to plate (I set mine on paper towel to drain off some of the oil).














Return skillet to stove over med-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp EVOO, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, and saute 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Push to the side and add fish to skillet. Cover with onion mix then squeeze other half of lime juice over top. Transfer to serving platter. Serve over rice.

While the fish cooks, make the following:














Fresh Corn Salsa
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
4 ears of fresh corn on cob, husked (I used a few cups of frozen corn)
Sprinkle of sugar
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash salt
2 Tbsp butter (I never added this)
2 ripe avocados (I just had one), chopped
Juice of 1 lime

This mixture is supposed to be cooked in skillet for a few minutes, then you simmer until it's creamy. It's called Maque Choux. I chose to keep it fresh, however, more like a salsa. So I just combined ingredients in a bowl and mixed well. I threw some more fresh cilantro into it and it was great. This is from Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals, but it was more like 20 minutes. Seriously so easy.














For dessert, an Aussie pavlova! Ok, that might be harder for you than me, my husband took care of this one.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to keep checking for great recipe ideas. :) That pavolva looks amazing…. kind of reminds me of a 'Treasure Chest' recipe made with egg whites. Is it the same? Can Jared share his recipe? that looks good enough to eat right off the screen!

Heidi said...

mmmm! We had tilapia on sunday and I still have some left -- guess what we are having for dinner!?

Thanks for sharing you recipes -- you are such a good cook -- I can't wait!

Oh & yes the pavolva does look delish!!

Britney said...

Yes please. I'll be there at 5:30. :)

Do you just eat the salsa plain or on the fish? It looks delicious! Can't wait for more recipes!

(P.S. You cooked fish?)

Robyn said...

Britney sorry if I wasn't clear... do you mean the corn salsa? I kinda had it on the side but it all mixed together and was SO tasty. You could definitely top the fish with the corn salsa and a squeeze of lime and have a great meal.

Yeah, can you believe I cooked fish? In a skillet, no less... usually I will only grill it. Tilapia seems to be an exception for me. It's the least fishy in my opinion.