Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Big 3-5

I'm not sure why my birthday has brought me such dread this year. I think hitting 35 feels like I am reaching some kind of milestone. I am no longer just in my 30's... I'm on my way to 40! I guess the additional wrinkles and other signs of aging don't help either....  but I am trying to take it all in stride. It's part of life right?



I hear women say that they "embrace" their aging body and that the wrinkles give their face character. Forgive me if I don't agree! I could do with a little less character, thank you very much! But here I document my life and who I am, so I have to include a self-portrait.


On Friday I met my mom and we headed to the Women's Expo for some shopping and lunch. Ashley, who is usually a dream while out running errands, decided she wasn't into the expo, so it was a little less than enjoyable. However, we browsed the booths, ate some Rumbi for lunch, and found a few fun things. By the end we were a little tired of the overly zealous salesmen and everyone asking us to fill out information cards for a "free prize" etc, etc. 


The only time I saw Ashley smile was when we headed out the door and she got to hold my very pink bag. Suddenly she was a charming little princess! Argh.


That night we had our family birthday party for both Olivia and I. We ate a delicious dinner of grilled burgers, strawberry and pecan spinach salad, scrumptious fruit salad, and strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. 

After eating, chatting, and kids playing, we opened presents. Olivia couldn't wait to go first. She was so excited to open a pair of sparkly Justice sandals and white scarf from the Mahers. From the Stuarts and Lori, she got a bunch of fun things like stick-on earrings, splatter paint laces, a birthstone necklace, and more. Nana and Papa's gift is a day out shopping (still to come) which she  is very excited about!


Cute snapshot of Lori and Amy


The family watching the present opening with such enthusiasm- L-R Bella, Austin, Lori holding Tess, and Whitney.


Then it was my turn to open presents, though I knew exactly what I was getting- a much needed Kitchen Aid mixer. The lack of a good mixer has put a quite a crunch in my baking obsession, so this may cause a great increase of pumpkin goods coming from my kitchen (hooray!) Don't worry Jill, I will bring some to you!



Here I am laughing at a card from my Mom and Dad- it is one of those audio cards with chipmunk style voices saying something about me being old and needing an MRI, Catscan and Colonoscopy! I had to remind my mom I'm not yet 50!!







11 comments:

Lindy said...

Looks like a fun birthday ~ even if it does mean you're a year older :) A new kitchen Aid mixer is worth a few wrinkles, right?

Chantel said...

Happy Birthday. You look fabulous. And that mixer is awesome I have one and you'll love it.

Midge said...

Happy Birthday! Nice Mixer! I decided getting older just means your getting smarter, and I can live with that. So far 35 hasn't been too bad.

Jill said...

I know what you mean, 35 feels like serious business, but it wasn't until turning 38 last year that 40 really came into focus for me. Yikes!

Heidi said...

So what are you saying that I am 40 and over the hill!? Just kidding I totally know what you mean. For me (like your sister Jill) 38 was super hard for me but then I really didn't mind forty. You are as beautiful as ever! I mean it really!!! Oh & i had to laugh a little because I don't know if you remember but I bought your Kitchen Aid from you when you moved to Australia! Hee Hee!

Esther said...

Your ARE so lucky, you got a mixer!!!!! Wished my family was as thoughtful as yours:-).

My dear you're a beautiful woman with many attributes to your name...remember age is just a number its how you feel that really counts.

Jamie said...

Happy Belated Birthday! You are as beautiful as ever. It sounds like you had a fun day. :) Man, I sure do love me some Rumbi!

Shauna said...

Happy Birthday Robyn! I'm so blessed to know you and call you my friend. "They" say that life only get's better with age. I'd like to believe that. Can't wait to see you Wednesday.

Shauna said...

I have to add: you and your mom look so much alike!it's incredible.

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey hey hey hey happy happy happy birthday. I haven't missed it, well technically yes, but It is on my to do list....soooo happy birthday to my dear friend. I will send you some love soon.
lv.
claudia

Diana said...

congrats on your kitchen aid mixer. I got one for Christmas and love it.
35 can't be old. I'll be there in two years.
You look beautiful in your self portrait.