Friday, May 29, 2009

Last Day of School!

I can't believe it... summer is here! I still can't believe it's 2009... nevermind summertime! Olivia finshed kindergarten today- wasn't she just born?! She was very excited about her kindergarten program today. I got a couple of confusing notes and one message from the principal on the answering machine about the schedule today (it starts at 8:00, now it starts at 9:00, blah blah) yet I still somehow missed the kindergarten graduation. I arrived at 9:00, as specified on the note, only to find out that a little graduation ceremony had already taken place and I didn't know. Great. I wasn't really suprised when I found out that the details hadn't been adequately communicated b/c that's really par for the course this year with Olivia's class. Let me just say we're really looking forward to 1st grade- a new year, a new teacher, a new experience... a new teacher- Oh did I already mention that? (insert big smile here)



Thankfully I was in my seat and ready for the big kindergarten program 10 minutes before the appointed time. I was armed with my camcorder and camera to capture all the cute moments. They looked adorable in their graduation caps and they sang quite a few songs. I loved the one about America- I will have to try and load the video on here b/c it's so sweet. Olivia had a huge smile on her face when she saw me. I love seeing how my presence makes my kids happy. I want them to know that they are important to me and that I want to be a part of each and every special moment in their lives. I don't want to miss one concert, program, game, recital, etc.



The program started 10 minutes late and went about 10 minutes over. I barely had time to walk down to Austin's classroom to see what was going on and say goodbye to his teacher. I just love her to death. She is seriously the most caring, sincere, and concerned teacher I have ever met. I wish my children could have her every year. Maybe they could alternate 1st grade, 4th grade, 2nd grade, 5th grade... ok, not likely... but she is going to teach 1st grade next year and I am really trying to get Olivia in her class.



Austin was signing autographs with friends in the classroom when I arrived. They were all completely engrossed in the activity as I talked with his teacher. I gave her a note with words of thanks and appreciation, along with a gift card. Austin had already given her the jar full of Reese's PB Cups (her favorite). I hugged her and told her again how much we appreciated her and would miss her. Both our eyes were tearing up as we talked- she said how much she would miss these children and wanted to see them grow up, what they become, etc.



She said she felt so lucky to have such great kids, how they are kind to each other in the classroom, they obey, they try their hardest, etc. I told her "it's not luck, it's you- it's the tone you set in the classroom". That's what makes her a great teacher. She is the perfect balance between discipline, fun, and caring. Oh how we'll miss her! A good teacher is truly priceless! (See poster above- she really is our hero) Austin loves her too. In his journal that he writes in every day, I can't count how many times he says he likes Miss S. Hmm, maybe it's just a crush, but I think he loves school because of her. He is already a good student, but she does fun and interesting things to help the kids progress and work harder. I have my fingers crossed for next year- I hope he gets an equally awesome teacher for 3rd grade!



Tonight the girls and I went to Olivia's dance rehearsal, then watched So you Think You Can Dance while the boys headed to the Father and Sons campout. We noshed on caramel corn (leftover from the bus driver treats) and critiqued all the dances we watched. Now I should be off to bed b/c I need to do a long run tomorrow. Only 2 weeks until the Bear Lake 1/2 Marathon. So sad that Amy most likely will not be running with me- she threw out her back and unfortunately she's still not back to normal. I don't know if she'll be able to run 2 miles by then, nevermind 13! (Hope you feel better soon, Amy!) Anyway, I'm going to try and do a 11-12 mile run tomorrow so that I can take it easy next week before the race.

If you're on Facebook you probably saw my post about going blonde. I have a hard time with photos of myself (don't we all?) so I am hesitant to put a photo on FB, but here's one for you guys. What do you think?

8 comments:

Heidi said...

It sounds like a nightmare with kindergarten graduation. That's too bad you missed it. But at least you were there for the program.

I am so grateful for good teachers!

And H-E-L-L-O Hottie!

I love your hair! The color is really great and so is the cut! Why ever would you not post this!? You are one gorgeous mama!
No, I understand not wanting to brag too much about your "hotness"

Love ya Robyn!! I hope to see you Thursday!

Britney said...

Cute Olivia!!!!

LOVE the blonde!!!!! You look bee-autiful!

Carrie said...

I just have to say it....You look smokin' hot, Robyn. I LOVE the blonde.
and how fun with the last day of school. Ours is still a couple of weeks away and I can't wait!

Amateur Steph said...

Cute hair! I just read your TOU marathon post (from the link on marathon mommies) and we had really similar experiences--except I think you dealt with the pain more positively than I did. It was fun to read. Good luck with your 1/2!

Jamie said...

First of all, your hair looks really cute. It has grown a lot since I saw you last! It must grow super fast. I do like the color, too. It looks very summery. Your boldness makes me want to change my hair somehow, but I am always a chicken when it comes to things like that!
I can't believe school is already out back there. I bet it is so nice!!! We still have two more weeks. Ugh...

Laurie said...

I think you look fantastic as a blonde!!

Happy summer!

Shauna said...

You look beautiful Robyn!

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous, you always look so beautiful and healthy :) Very healthy!

I love keeping up with your family, you guys so such fun things, It is awesome that Austin did a triathalon! I can't believe Olivia is done with Kindergarten...crazy.
Have a fun summer!