Friday, May 15, 2009

First Annual Pinewood Derby

Thursday night we had the privilege of attending our very first Pinewood Derby as part of the Scouting program. I believe it's one of the most anticipated events of the year and many of the boys (and DADS!) really get into it.



Austin and Jared planned to do a BYU car in cougar blue and white. It turned out pretty good, a cute little speedracer car... but the "Y" got lost somewhere in the shuffle and they just put the #8 on it.



It was cute to see all the boys comparing cars before the race began. I couldn't believe how long it took to load all of the cars into the computer and get everyone organized. However, it later paid off, because it was amazing how fast the results came in from the finish line (which was connected to the laptop & screen projector) and you could see the results instantly. I had no idea Scouts were so high-tech!



All the cars raced at least one time in each lane, and sometimes more. It seemed like we heard Austin's name a million times. He finished in 3rd most often, but got a few 2nds and a few 4ths (I don't think he got any 1sts). After the official races were done, they got to do some unofficial heats and of course he came in first quite a few times. Don't know what that was about, maybe his car warmed up or the wheels were more lubricated then?



It was fun to watch the boys get into the race and excitedly run back and forth from the start and finish as they participated in their heats. It seemed to go on forever (for the parents) but I know the kids had a great time and that's what counts. They gave everyone a ribbon for participation, and then announced the winners of each den (age group) and the overall winners. I was really glad that Austin had a fun time and didn't seem to worry how he placed or what the outcome was. It was a good thing because his car was definitely not in the top placers!

Can't wait for next year! (ok, maybe I can)

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, that is quite the high-tec pinewood derby!
Harrison LOVED reading this post and looking at these pictures. He is so excited to join cub scouts!
Nice care, Austin!

Heidi said...

We just had our pinewood derby too. I'm glad he had a greet time!

Carrie said...

yipee! I am glad I found you again.
I have noticed your excellent taste in music. That is why I was so interested in your post about what is on your ipod.
p.s. you gotta love the pinewood derby. I bet Jared and Austin loved every minute of it!

Jill said...

This activity is the highlight of the year for the boys and is really the only Pack Meeting I enjoy. Landon went to his last Pinewood Derby a couple weeks ago and loved it, I can't believe he's done already.

Britney said...

Yeah! I love Pinewood Derby! I remember going and watching my brothers race their cars. I can't wait for Anders to get to experience his first one. I think he'll love it!