Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Pop!!!

Today is my dad's 60th birthday! I can't believe it. Each year that passes, my dad seems younger and younger to me. Does this happen to anyone else? It's because I am getting older myself and suddenly 60 doesn't seem so old!




My dad doesn't seem old anyway. He's always been full of energy (just like my mom) always going, doing, etc. He is a creature of habit. He goes to the gym every morning at 5:30. He loves his Franklin planner, his Saturday trips to JCW's with Andrew, loves watching CSI and Pardon the Interruption. He loves my mom's chocolate chip cookies and his Diet Coke. He loves keeping his car meticulously clean, his clothes hung neatly in categories (dress shirts, t-shirts, pants, etc), and a cover over his car every night when he parks it in the garage (so the cats don't get paw prints all over- which they do). 



1970 - My parents, baby Jill, and my dad's parents in Florida




1980 - family photo. This was during my dad's Magnum PI stage. Everyone thought he looked like Tom Selleck. I bet he loved it!

He is a great leader and spiritual strength for our family. His testimony in the gospel is rock solid. He converted while serving in the Army in Italy. I am so thankful for the friends who shared the gospel with him.

He takes his responsibility to support and provide for his family very seriously. He has always worked very hard and even lived in other states at times when the job required. I am sure commuting on the weekends wasn't easy but you will never, ever hear him complain. I know there were hard times but he always did his very best to take care of us and give us all he could. I am so thankful for the help he has given me as I went through college, served a mission, and now in supporting my own family. He also teaches us to follow the Lord without fail, and through his example shows us the time and service a faithful member of the church should give. He serves diligently in his callings, he is a truly gifted teacher, and many ward and stake members have told me how much he has done for them. It makes me very proud. 

He has no New York accent athough he grew up in Queens for 17 years before he joined the military. He went to Catholic schools all his life, went to Mass with his mother, and rode the subway to school. His ancestors came from Ireland, his middle name is Patrick, and he was born TODAY!! How perfect for this Irish boy. We love him so much and hope he has a great day. 




HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMMY!

8 comments:

Laura said...

I loved reading more about your Dad.

Christie said...

What a wonderful dad. I can't believe how much he and Austin look alike!

Diana said...

What a sweet post to your dad. He seems like such a great dad. I know Queens is large but my Dad grew up there too. I will have to ask him if he ever knew your Dad.

Jill said...

I thought only his mother was allowed to call him Tommy!

Heidi said...

What a great post full of such sweet sentiments about your dad. He sound like a great father. I can tell how much you love him. I hope he had a great birthday!

Britney said...

That was so nice! I hope he had a great birthday!

michelle said...

It is oh so appropriate that your dad's birthday is on St. Patrick's day!

It's not just you -- the older I get, the younger my parents seem...

p.s. I am SO sorry that Eva bit Ashley! And mortified as well.

amy gretchen said...

I hope he had a good bday. Are we celebrating?

I always love that family shot of you guys. The mustache seem so unlike him.