Sunday, February 08, 2009

She's Alive!

We left last Tuesday for Las Vegas. 3 days and 2 nights away from real life. It was a great break. Thank you so much Mom and Pop! So, we arrived back home about 4:00 pm on Thursday...

And at approximately 4:06 pm, Olivia got sick. She didn't stop for over 18 hours. About midnight that night, Jared and I were discussing whether or not to take her to the emergency room. She couldn't keep anything down. She took tiny sips of watered down apple juice, only to lose it about 30 seconds later! She had slept all day Thursday and into the night- completely listless and feverish. She looked awful; her eyes were dark and sunken in. What alarmed us was the appearance of her vomit. (Sorry, TMI) but I had never seen anything like it- not the typical clear bile stuff, but dark brown with little brown bits in it. (Again, sorry) It also looked bloody, which really worried me.  I started looking online and found that when it looks like that you should take them to a doctor immediately, which at midnight means the emergency room. 

I called our after-hours nurse and she agreed that we should probably take her into the emergency room. However, she was noncommittal. She said if it were closer to morning, she would say just go to the doctor. It is such a hard call when you have no insurance! We were weighing the decision and trying to determine whether or not we could wait. We said a prayer and felt like we should go first thing in the morning. Thankfully, she slept from about 2 am - 7 am without being sick. (Did I mention that Ashley woke up at 1:30 am and was sick in her bed?) Needless to say, it was not a good night of sleep. Welcome home, right?




We got Olivia to the doctor Friday morning at 9 am, first appointment of the day. We were there for about 2 hours. They examined Olivia and almost sent us to the emergency room, but in the end decided we could do an IV there and hope she got better. They added an anti-nausea medicine to her IV and she didn't get sick again. She slept all that day and finally started to perk up on Saturday afternoon. 

When she asked for pizza, we knew things were looking good... when she wanted to do a craft we thought "it's looking better"... but when she started to pester Ashley, we knew 

SHE'S BACK!


10 comments:

Carrie said...

What a nightmare!!! I am glad she is doing better now. Good luck!

Nikki said...

Talk about a jolt back into reality! Miserable. Poor things- all of you. What a relief to see her come out of it and get back to her normal self- and you back to normal sleep! :)

Jill said...

She looks so tiny and lifeless in that picture, yikes! I'm so glad she's doing better and is back to eating pizza, being crafty and pestering Ashley!

Bond Girl 007 said...

Oh my goodness, this is exactly what has happend to alexei, after Jorvik has had it...just the sick and cold part for the last 3 weeks. But Alexei's hit really hard a lot of gunk in his through and instead of brownish..it was a yellow...highlighting yellow color...never seen that before, because he has had nothing in his tummy other than pedyliate ice popcicles...he still under the spell....I hope he feels better, it is going to be a week on tuesday..not fun to see them like that! I am glad yours is doing better.

Lindy said...

Poor Olivia--and poor mom and dad. I'm glad things worked out. I hate trying to decide whether you need to take them to the hospital or not. Glad that she's got her "spunk" back :)

Jamie said...

Oh, the poor little thing. I am so sorry that she got so sick. That had to have been so scary! I'm glad she is doing better now and I'm glad you were able to have a little r & r before this bug hit!

michelle said...

Yikes, what a way to return from a trip! I've never had to have one of my kids on an i.v. for dehydration before, but it's always so sad to me when they get an i.v. So glad she's better, and now maybe you can sleep!

Chantel said...

What a welcome home. I hate that no insurance dilemma. But I am glad she back to her old self.

Britney said...

Mercy! I am so sorry! I hate it when kids get so sick. It is so much hard and so hard to take care of them, but even worse you just feel so bad for them when they are so completely miserable! That poor little thing! I'm glad she is getting better. It sounds like a doozy! I hope nobody else gets it and Ashley starts to feel better soon! Wow. What a weekend you had!

amy gretchen said...

What a way to return home from a trip. I find it's so hard to make these tough calls because you don't want to be a stress case, but you also don't want to be too relaxed. It's hard to find a balance. I'm glad you followed your gut and she got the help she needed, but that it wasn't too serious. Glad she's back.