GET ORGANIZED!
I like to think of myself as a clean person. I am good at keeping things tidy. I don't like messes, or piles, or stacks of things. However, I hate to admit, I am not really that organized- under the clutter, that is. I really don't have a great file system. I put things away, then forget where I stashed them. Inside my drawers and closets I am not really that picky about how things look. As long as things are hung up and in a general order, I'm ok. Over the past few months, this closet has reached a frightening state. I hate to even go in there. It's the place that I shove things when I don't know where else to put them. There was a table in there and a file drawer so it just made it too easy to drop and go! This is the before photo:
2009 going to be different. I am going to do better. I am going to establish a good file system for papers, bills, etc. (I do have file drawers and folders that are labeled, but I like to take the liberty of shoving papers in the front with the intent to "file later" which never really happens). So, I'm not a complete failure, I just need to improve the pathetic excuse for a system which is currently in place. I weeded through all the old magazines, school papers, kids' artwork, bills, etc. clogging this closet and it felt SO good to get rid of it. I filled a large kitchen trashcan with paper I'm going to recycle. I also sorted out all the paper with one side blank (a tedious job) but I just couldn't stand the thought of thowing it away, at the rate my girls' draw and color, they'll use it up in no time.
I am going to organize my kids' school papers and memorabilia. These things, I confess, are really not in any order at all. I haven't done much scrapbooking for the past 3-4 years, so certificates, soccer photos, swim photos, preschool graduations, etc. are all floating around in random places. I bought each child a large plastic bin with a lid that I am going to store their things in. For me, this is an easy way to keep them together and not have the pressure to create elaborate scrapbook pages for each one. Hopefully, the important stuff won't get lost now that I have a destination for it. I can also include small, sentimental items like stuffed animals, blankets, etc.
I have other areas I want to organize. I bought more bins for the kids' toys and my bags (yes, they need a large bin b/c they won't fit in my closet or anywhere else). I also plan to make a better job chart so that my whole house can be more organized, with everyone's help. Another area in need is budget. As much as I wish I could just ignore it and pretend it wasn't there... it's something that we need to fine tune- find a happy place where we can enjoy life, but still save and reach our goals. Does anyone else find this as difficult as I do? I feel like I need a life coach to come and analyze things and do a makeover. Do they have a reality show for that?
Anyway, it felt really good to finish cleaning out this closet. It took me the whole day, seriously. My girls were so good- they played together and entertained one another being princesses as I played Cinderella doing all the dirty work!
12 comments:
Wow, I am impressed with your before and after in one day! I actually have an organizing "group" with some friends and we are trying to motivate each other this year and brainstorm ideas to get (and keep) life running smoother. I also just read the Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey and LOVED it. Our new budget started Jan. 1st. The quote I loved was "Decide where you are going to spend your money so you don't wonder where it went." The same could be said of time.
Thanks for letting me jump in. I enjoy reading your blog and I am glad you are on Marathon Mommies! Hope to meet up with you one of these races. We missed you at the Salt Lake meetup. I think you were trying to get there and couldn't make it.
Wow,that was a long post!
Wow, what a chore! The newly organized closet looks great. Your post reminded me of how you would clean out the fridge on p-days. :) You are seriously the neatest, cleanest person I know.
You have motivated me to do much better with my closets. They need a major revamp.
One thing I have found w/all the school papers, etc, is I scan them on the computer and then, someday, will print them out in a book w/snapfish or something. We'll see if it works with Harrison's stuff. He is the oldest child and, therefore, the guinea pig.
The before and after look SO great. I need to find a system that works for my brain and has staying power!
Amen to all of that, sister! I have to get my act together with filing school papers, etc. It seems like my paper piles breed overnight :)
The closet looks great. I love it once you have solved the puzzle and know where everything should go -- the hard part is just solving the problem and figuring out the "how". So now you're done with the hard part. I'll bet it feels great!
P.S. I've also heard the Money Makeover is incredible!
How cute are those girls?!
Cinderelly, Cinderelly, day and night it's Cinderelly!
First of all Reloutions #8!!??
Wow you are are quite the woman. I only made two and hope I can do those.
The closet looks so good. I know how those projects can take so much time but they are so worth it. Don't you want to just open the door and peek at your success?
I struggle with this as well. It is so fulfilling to do an organizational makeover, so why is that so hard for me to remember? Your closet looks great.
Having papers etc. unorganized makes my brain feel cluttered. Great start.
The "before" and "after" pictures are lovely dear Robyn.
I get so excited about stuff like this. Good job on the closet! I can kind of deal with small clutter around the house, but I'm crazy when it comes to closets and drawers, that's where maybe my OCD manifests itself.
looks beautiful in the after pictures.
Well done Robyn, what a big task. You guys (your siblings) must have learned for the best at just tackling a project. Adam's always saying, "don't think, just do".
Other than the closet, which didn't start with you, I find you to be a very organized person, though I hear you there is always room for improvement. Organizing kids paper trail is enough to drive me batty, but I feel like I'm starting to get a system down as long as I'm on top of it.
Good Luck.
good for you. it is always an exhilirating feeling to get something accomplished like this, it should continue to remain in our brains as things start to get piled up again, why do we forget too soon or let it go? well, you know there are some things that I will not let go...like not making beds, or keeping a clean kitchen, maybe we can add to that list....one more task.
Post a Comment