Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Tis the season



I love the month of October for many reasons, including the changing leaves, Halloween, General Conference, Fall colors, etc. But the biggest reason I love October is because it's pumpkin season!

I started my own personal celebration of pumpkin a few weeks ago. I have made pumpkin pancakes, a few different cakes, pumpkin bars, muffins, etc. Just to remind you all how much I love pumpkin (in case you didn't already know) I am going to post a different recipe EVERY day of October so that those who love pumpkin like I do can enjoy it to the fullest!

I loved that pumpkin was so popular in Australia. During the 2 years we lived there, I found that just about every restaurant or cafe had something on the menu, i.e. pumpkin soup, grilled pumpkin on foccacia, pizza with feta and pumpkin, pumpkin ravioli, etc. Very creative and delicious dishes! I should point out that they don't really have traditional pumpkins like we do. They are usually referring to squash when they say pumpkin. They often use Japanese pumpkin too. The following recipe was one my friend Rachel, a native of Sydney, shared with me. I loved it instantly!



Salad:
2 c. grilled pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 bag spinach
1 avocado
1/4 c. pine nuts, toasted
1/2 c. feta, crumbled

Dressing:
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
2 T. maple syrup
2 tsp. dijon mustard

This salad is so simple to prepare! If you haven't grilled pumpkin before, I just chop the peel off and cut into 1 inch cubes. Toss in olive oil and grill at 425 degrees until soft. When I made this salad last night, I didn't have a ripe avocado and I substituted candied walnuts for pine nuts (that's what the dark stuff is on top that looks like burnt chicken!) Just so you know, you could probably use any kind of squash you have. I think I used banana squash on mine, it doesn't matter.

7 comments:

Shauna said...

Wow! This looks delicious. I can't wait to try it! I'll be checking in for my daily dose of pumpkin recipes. How fun.

Carrie said...

Yummy. I love pumpkins too. But my love affair is mostly just looking at them. They are beautiful! I am terrified to cook with them so thanks for the recipes this month. I need to try at least one!

amy gretchen said...

It's funny megan just realized the other day that you can eat pumpkins. I had to explain that it was one of your favorite foods. You'll have to let her try some next time she's there. The salad looks good.

Cecilia said...

Yum....I'm so excited that you're going to post pumpkin recipes!
The salad looks so good :)
I'll be back every day for the recipes...YAY!

Jamie said...

I was so excited when I read your post! I love pumpkin stuff, too, so I am looking forward to trying out some new recipes from the Queen of Pumpkin Cuisine. :D Thanks for sharing!

Heidi said...

I can't tell you how excited I am for all your pumpkin recipes! Go Robyn go! This salad looks amazing and with all the butternut squash I have in my garden I'm glad to have a recipe for that too.

michelle said...

I am definitely excited about these recipes, Robyn.