Thursday, October 23, 2008

Thursday

Took all 3 kids to the dentist this morning. What a joy! Austin has 4 teeth with cavities and Olivia has a few on their way. Guess I can't let them brush their own teeth anymore. Ugh. Ashley wouldn't even let him get near her teeth, despite all the prep and homework I did using "Dora's visit to the Dentist". She acted like she was on board until the moment of truth came and she was faced with a guy wearing a face mask. Hmm, guess we'll try again in 6 months!

After that I got to visit Britney and Shauna in Provo. It made my day! I hardly ever get to see these girls except my monthly bookclub, so it was such a treat. After that the kids and I did some errands around town; returning something to Target (yes, I actually walked out with a credit), getting felt at JoAnn to make Ashley's treat bag, getting a price adjustment at Kohl's (more credit), and abandoning the copies I needed b/c we were all too tired at that point!

Tonight I have a Stake training meeting for Primary. I'm the secretary for our ward, which is such a joy. It means I get to use Excel, which I love... but it also means nothing is ever updated b/c someone is always moving, having a birthday and leaving Primary, or switching classes, etc. With my personality (a little OCD) I can't stand that everything isn't perfect once I am done with it. I want things to be nice, orderly, and neat. "I must have order, I must have perfection!" to those who are familiar with Shrek. Oh well, I enjoy the ladies I work with and I like feeling like I am helping the children in Primary. On Wednesday, we went to lunch for Jenn's (the Primary President) birthday at Rumbi Grill and I thought how lucky I am to serve with 3 ladies that I actually can enjoy going to lunch with and feel like we're just regular friends.



Maple Pumpkin Custard

1/3 c. sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of cloves
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. light cream
1 c. heavy cream
2/3 c. packed pumpkin
½ c. pure maple syrup

Heat oven to 300 degrees. In large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, yolks, vanilla, spices, and salt. Set aside.

In medium saucepan, whisk together the light and heavy creams, pumpkin, and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over med-low heat, stirring occasionally. Do not boil. Remove pan from heat once pumpkin mixture is hot, about 5 minutes. Then, add it by ladleful to the yolk mixture, stirring continuously. Don’t pour at once or yolks cook too quickly.

Once mixtures are blended, divide custard evenly among 6 standard custard cups or ramekins. Pour ¾ inch of hot water into a large casserole dish and set the cups in the water. Bake uncovered on the center rack until centers are jiggly but not soupy, about 45-50 minutes. Set on wire rack to cool. When they are room temperature, cover and refrigerate for 6 hours before serving. Top with cream.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Seriously, what am I going to do once October is over and there will be no more pumpkin recipes lying in wait? =D That custard looks so yummy! And I have been looking for a recipe to use up the yolks from when I make the sweet potato/pumpkin waffles which calls for 6 egg whites! Yay!
And I LOVE Rhumbi's! My grandma always takes me to lunch there when I go visit Utah. Yum!

amy gretchen said...

Ah the dentist. We've gone through cavities ourselves, but this time we were all clear. Perhaps when he gets them taken care of, not a pleasant experience, he won't want to go through it again. Of course I think getting cavities has something to do with how strong your teeth are.

I am a huge fan of order myself. It's such a blessing to serve your time with woman you enjoy. I had no idea you were in the primary. When did that happen?

Diana said...

count me in with your party.
Our ward is constantly changing also. I feel bad for the secretaries or RS and Primary. Our primary is a little bit more stable but I swear every semester about half our RS changes.