Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11



I hope you have your flags out today, ours is. This is a day that I find hard to commemorate because so much sadness and tragedy is associated with it. This morning as we finished our scripture time, I said to the kids, "Do you know what today is? It's September 11th. Do you know why this is an important day?" Austin knew a little bit, but Olivia didn't know. I started to explain what happened on that day 7 years ago. Before I knew it, my voice was getting choked up and tears were running down my face as I told the kids how many, many people were hurt and killed that day. Olivia said, "Why are you crying? " I explained that some people lost their moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas, and even children, and I felt very sad for them. I said, "I don't want you to feel sad, but I want you to remember how blessed we are because we didn't lose any of our family and we are all safe." The kids are having patriotic week at school and today there will be a flag ceremony at 9:45. I just want them to have some idea of what this is all about.



I can't remember if I have posted about this book, September Roses. We got it from the library once. Olivia chose it and I had no idea what it was about until we started reading. (It's recommended for preschool - Grade 3) I think it's a sweet story and a wonderful way to help children understand what happened on September 11th. Here is a tidbit from the book's jacket:

"On September 11, 2001, two sisters from South Africa are flying to New York City with 2,400 roses to be displayed at a flower show. As their plane approaches the airport, a cloud of black smoke billows over the Manhattan skyline. When they land, they learn of the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. All flights are canceled; the sisters cannot go home, and they are stranded with boxes and boxes of roses."

About the author: "In the days that followed September 11, Jeanette Winter was drawn to Union Square and saw, among the hundreds of memorial offerings, twin towers made of roses. In the pages of this small and vibrant book, she tells a moving story."

Just thought I would share because some of you parents out there might want to help your kids grasp what this day is all about and this cute book is a nice way to do that.

Today, I am thinking of those who might have been affected by this tragedy or who lost loved one(s), friends, or coworkers. I am sorry for your loss and I hope that you can find some comfort or peace.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Thanks for the recommendation. The books looks like it will be perfect to read to my kids. We were in New York the Thanksgiving after the 9/11 and ground zero was still smoking and the smell was so intense.

The streets were lined with flowers and as you walked closer to the site the sounds and chaos of the city lessened and there was reverence. It is a sad day to remember and I hope that those who lost someone that day find comfort. Thanks for the post.

Shauna said...

I agree that this is a difficult day and remembering the super bad happenings is tough. It would be really nice to think that nothing that bad will ever happen again.

Thanks for the thoughts on the subject. We'll have to check out the book.

Laurie said...

I know what you mean, and I'm glad you mentioned that book. Surprising that our scouts didn't put the neighborhood flags up yesterday.

Jordan was in kindergarten in 2001 and he remembers it, although I think the impact of it hasn't registered with him yet. Jemma has no idea, and yesterday I thought about trying to tell her but then decided not to. Not yet.

Bond Girl 007 said...

oh my...this day is soo important to share with kids and everyone really. It seems a lot of the people take it for granted that we are safe and all they do is get upset at all the new measures in the airport and stuff like that...but I think there should be more awareness and keen information of what really happend and why. I think many Americans still live on a cloud of "Not in America"especially if you were not directly hit...and we should all be alert and know that danger is luring out there. We have to be on top of things more than not.

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing the book info and for writing this post on such an important day.
This past summer when we went to NYC, we went to the site. I remember telling Harrison about that day and how the towers fell. I was surprised at how choked up I got telling him about the hole in the skyline.

Amy C said...

Hi Robyn, me again (I kept reading!). That looks like a great book; I'll try to find it. Also, I showed a video to my children that I found very helpful. http://www.brainpop.com/socialstudies/ushistory/september11th/
I think you'll like it.