The rest of us got our tents up while dinner was cooking in the Dutch ovens. I actually learned how to use a chimney or fire starter to heat up charcoals. That was a first for me! My own family does enjoy camping, but we stick to propane stoves. My mom found some great dutch oven recipes online that turned out to be really delicious. We made camp stew and cornbread, but unfortunately didn't get the Mississippi Mud Pie made this time. It sounds fabulous.
I wrestled the kids away from the TV while all of the setting up and cooking was happening. Imagine all 8 cousins, lined up in front of Nickelodeon, instead of playing outside on a beautiful evening, enjoying one another's company. I hope they forgive me - but I took the remote, pressed OFF, and herded them outside. It was great to see them running around, riding bikes and scooters, swinging on the playset, and learning how to play bocce (see Austin and Landon above).
Soon the food was ready and they all came for some grub. The cornbread exceeded all of our expectations. It was awesome (it may have helped that we coated the foil in the dutch oven with butter, a la Giada, our fav chef). The stew was very tasty which I attribute to the 2 packets of gravy mix the recipe calls for. Amy also brought our favorite spinach salad, and the kids had hot dogs and chips.
Mom bought a fire pit on special the other day, and it was perfect out in the yard. The kids loved roasting marshmallows and hot dogs. Later it provided a very cozy atmosphere and some heat on a late summer night.
The kids had so much fun sleeping inside of Jill and Randy's huge tent (I think it could sleep at least 10) but they didn't quiet down until about 10:30. The adults were still talking around the campfire. About that time, I settled Ashley down in my tent, which my mom and Lori were going to sleep in. I was sleeping inside, which I know sounds really lame, but I had to get up at 5am for a 20 mile run, so I wasn't about to risk sleeping outside on an air mattress. I needed real sleep. Thanks to my mom and Lori, and everyone else, who took care of Ashley and the other kids in the morning while I was gone. (Jared was away in California hiking with some buddies). It was so great to come back about 10:30 and find that my tent had been put away, sleeping bags, chairs, and everything else cleaned up.
See Jill's blog for more photos and her re-cap, which is more thorough than mine.
9 comments:
What a fun idea to camp in the backyard! I'm not a camping kind of girl, so I'm pretty sure that if I had the option I would've slept inside So, you're not lame at all, specially after running for 20 miles...way to go!
I wish I had my family close to me to help out with the kiddos sometimes. It would make things a lot easier. I'm glad you have that extra help!
This looks like so much fun and what a great idea. Getting together with family is so important and this has a dual purpose. Ingenius. The cousins/family are going to grow up close and that's invaluable.
What a fun idea for a family activity, especially if you are going to try out new gear, etc. I hope your run went well!
That's such a good idea and my kind of camping. With your allergies( sinuses) it's probably good you didn't sleep outside.
I'll email you with my ENT info.
hey I heard you had a wonderful run...good for you. This sounds like something fun to do and to file in the memory banks...funny about your dad and brother....
Our family does not camp, either. At all. We don't even have any of the equipment! I do think it would be nice to know how to use dutch ovens, though. Very impressive. This looks like it was a great family activity!
What a great idea! That looks like it was so much fun with at LEAST half the hassle and mess as a "real camping" trip.
Such a fun idea!! I love the part about your brother and dad -- hee hee!!!
I love dutch oven food -- send me some of the recipes please. I am a novice, but I really want to learn.
I love camping -- and this was a great way to do it and such a fun idea!!!
This was so out of the box for us I am so impressed we actually did it. I really hope we do it again.
Post a Comment