Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Monday

Monday was a big day for me. It started out at 5:30 am. Kami picked me up, we grabbed Heather, and headed down to the Jordan River Parkway for our run. Over the past few weeks, we have slowly worked up to longer distances. Its climbed from 6,8,10,12, to 14. For that run, we went from my house to Eagle Mountain City Center, and back around through The Ranches, exactly 14 miles. It wasn't too bad b/c I think mentally I knew it was just a little more than I have run before (1/2 marathon) so not too scary. On Monday however, I was pretty nervous with the big 1-6 ahead of me. Heather has trained for marathons before, so this wasn't so daunting for her, although it's been over a year. It went pretty well. It was a rainy, overcast, muggy morning- pretty good for a run. I had some breakfast and I had Powerade in my 4 bottles (on my belt) so I was pretty good. It took us longer than I had thought, mainly b/c we had a few bathroom breaks and some hills, but overall we got through it. When I got back home, I found this note from Jared on my bed. Very sweet. He said he had also tried to find our car at the Parkway to leave a note there too, but didn't see it. It was a nice boost, so I had to leave it up the past few days to help me feel good about my run. You know why? Because our next long run is 18 and that scares me to death!!!!



The thing that I really noticed after my run is that I wasn't sore at all. I know, big surprise. I did take an Ibuprofen about noon on Monday b/c my feet were aching, but no muscle soreness at all. This may be due to the special formula "Loco Liquor" that Heather made us. Now before you get any ideas... it's just a name, there isn't really any liquor in it. She got the recipe from her old running club. It's basically protein powder, lecithin, cocoa, sweetner, etc. etc. I don't know everything but it really helps prevent soreness and is supposed to aid in recovery after a big run. I'm sold.

I tried to take it easy the rest of the day and even laid down with Ashley for her nap and slept about 40 minutes. I was really worried b/c I wanted to have an enjoyable time that night with Jared. We had tickets to see John Mayer and Colbie Caillat at Usana. He bought them for my birthday back in April, so it's been a long time coming.



We got some dinner and arrived just after 7pm. There was another pre-show guy on, then Colbie Caillat came on. She was really good. Very mellow but enjoyable. Pretty timid in front of a crowd. Reminded me of when we saw John Mayer at Deer Valley years ago and he didn't talk much, just kind of played and did his thing.



After she finished they started changing the set and the anticipation was in the crowd. JM came out and the show really got started. I like Colbie C. but there was such a huge difference. He really knows how to perform and work the audience. He was pretty funny. He played a lot of great songs, but I wish he didn't do quite so much blues and guitar solos. I know some people love him for this, but I like what I hear on the CDs so that is what I wanted to hear. There were a lot of great songs that I wish he sang (Heart of Life, Stop This Train) but overall it was still a great show and I am glad we went. Thanks for my present, Jared.



During the show Jared went to get us some drinks and he came back with this t-shirt for me. I really like it. It's totally me, due to the fact that it's brown and has a little green on it. Love the colors. Some of the words to Bubbly are on the back. I wore it the other day and tried to get Olivia to take a picture for me (since I am incapable of doing a decent self-portrait). She is so funny, the camera was totally pointing to my left so as you notice in the photo, I am leaning to the left trying to make sure I get in the photo! I guess she did a great job for a 5 year old.



Tonight we're getting ready to leave for camping in the morning. We're going to Moab for a few days and I am really looking forward to it. The kids are ecstatic. All day Ashley was saying, "Go camping" and "I go too". Very cute. She had a big day today. She went on the potty twice! (Sorry for those of you who do not have kids but this is very BIG) This was a huge development for us, so we rewarded her with gum and candy. We know how to speak Ashley's language! Hopefully this good behavior will continue. I am hopeful.

Happy Pioneer Day to everyone in Utah- it's a state holiday!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

16 miles is awesome! I can't believe you weren't sore at all after, but it makes sense because you have been training etc. Congrats!

Concerts are such fun dates. It's funny that you wanted to hear more stuff from the CD. I am the opposite, I want them to mix it up because I can listen to the CD any old time. Glad you had fun.

Your hair looks super cute like that. Have a great weekend in Moab!

Laura said...

You do ROCK! I cannot believe what a runner you are. I work out five days a week at the gym and that seems very daunting to me. Good for you! We all need something to challenge us.

The concert looks like fun too! Have fun in Moab.

Ps- Your kids are adorable!

Elizabeth said...

Way to go, and what a fun date. Your hair looks great!

Jill said...

Holy cow, congratulations on the successful, long run! I'm so impressed that you've embraced running like this and have done so well with it. Wow!

Your hair looks so cute like that. This is the first time I've seen it done straight since you got it cut.

Natasha said...

I had never heard of Pioneer Day until I began blogging last year!
Congrats on the LOOOOOONG run!

Cecilia said...

Congrats on the 16 miles! You Rock!

The concert sounds like fun...specially being with the person you love!

Tiffany is 90% potty trained and I know exactly how you feel about Ashley's progress...Good luck!

Have fun in Moab!

BTW-Thanks for the cute card...You're so sweet!

Jamie said...

Congrats on 16 miles. That is a huge accomplishment and I'm sure you'll do great on your next long run. Andy and I have learned that it doesn't matter what your overall pace is on the long training runs, you just have to get your body used to being on your feet for 3+ hours. If you ever find out the recipe for that "Loco Liquor" you'll have to share. It sounds great for a post-run recovery. Poor Andy, he just stopped limping after the race on the 24th. He had heard it was tough, but he said that race "chewed him up and spit him out".
Sorry for the novel, but congrats to Ashley on the potty!!!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow Robyn...if i could run like you I don't know where i would be...but I walk...I've been walking 3 to 4 miles a day...i love that t-shirt on you...it looks soo cute and the low neck, I can't stand t shirts that have a high collar...any how, how fun to run and have a great time 16 miles is beyond any comprehension....but then to top it off with a concert, that is awesome! I am glad you had a great time!

michelle said...

16 miles is so impressive! And I'm totally jealous of that concert, what a great gift. I love that Jared could pick out a t-shirt that you really like and got the right size as well!