Our rules are: 1. Lay Down 2. Be quiet 3. Close eyes 4. Stay in bed. I made very basic drawings next to each of these rules to help Ashley understand what it means. She is so funny. As we went over the rules tonight at bedtime, she could say each one by herself. Jared prompted her a little with the picture but she stated each one and we thought it was so cute. Now if she could just FOLLOW the rules! The bigger kids get points on their job chart but for Ashley, apparently a chocolate upon waking isn't motivation enough.
This week I went over my 72 hour kits and supply lists. I bought some new stuff- waterproof matches, ponchos- then replaced batteries in flashlights, put appropriate clothing for kids in their bags, etc. I still need to put together our food packs and get some more things in order, but it feels good to work on it and make sure we have everything we need in there.
This week I received Good Mail from Jill and Natasha! Jill sent me a thank you for the Thai presentation I did in Landon's 4th grade class. There was a photo of Landon and I in her kitchen on the front of the card- me holding the huge thank you note his class made for me. Natasha sent an early birthday card for me with a kind message and a book of stamps so I can pass on the Good Mail. Thank you so much Natasha! I sent 4 notes the same day, so you really inspired me.
Friday evening my mission president had a reunion for all the missionaries who served during the 3 years he was in Thailand. I met up with my friend Lindy and we drove together. It is always a funny thing going to a mission reunion because you don't really know who else will be there- if you will know anyone or not. The last one I went to was at least 4-5 years ago (I think Olivia was a baby) and I hardly knew a soul. I think I drove with Lindy and our friend Jon, and we left pretty early. This time was so much better, thankfully. There were a lot of 'older' people there so we had a good time chatting and catching up with people. Can you believe that I got home 10 years ago this October?! I know, I date myself when I admit to that... but I just can't believe how fast the time has passed. Here is a photo of all the 'oldie' missionaries who were there last night. My mission president is the one in the middle with the gray sweater and black pants. The shocking thing is, he was 32 when he was president... my age now!
It also really fun to see my friend Tua there. She lived in my last area in Bangkok, Bang Naa. She has since moved here to the States and married a Thai man (who also served in our mission). They have two adorable kids and live in Draper. Coincidentally, Lindy also served in Bang Naa, so the three of us talked about the area and some of the other sisters who served there, including the ever-perfect Sister Jones who established such a high standard for the branch there that all other sister missionaries were compared to her for evermore. I guess it's not their fault, she was there for 8 months so they got used to perfection. Anyway, we all talked alot and ate a little but I was glad I went. It was great to talk with Lindy on the ride there and back and I thought, "Why don't we hang out more often?" Too bad it takes a reunion to get us together.
Today it was windy and cold outside (again) and Saturday is my long run day! Argh! I was not looking forward to running on a treadmill today. Thursday I did my 8 mile run on the treadmill and it about killed me. I get so bored. Today my training schedule told me 10 miles and I wanted to do it. I like how the training schedule (from Runner's World.com) dictates what I have to do. It sets the goals for me and it totally helps me push myself and get the miles I need to. If it was left up to me I think I would really slack. So anyway, I got on the treadmill... 3 Grey's episodes, 5 times up/down from the treadmill for kids, 100 minutes, and one shot of gel later, I finished. I shouldn't admit this... but I am so A.D.D. I actually watched Grey's AND listed to my iPod at the same time. I know, I can't even hear what the tv is saying, but for some reason it keeps my mind distracted and makes the time go faster. Pretty pathetic.
Jared and Olivia had a special Daddy Daughter Date today. About lunchtime they went out and washed the truck, went to Home Depot, and to KFC for lunch (Can you tell who was in charge of the agenda?) Olivia loved it and kept getting embarrassed when Jared called it a "date". When he asked her what she wanted to do, it included buying clothes and shoes! She's only 4, almost 5, and she is already a shop a holic! I have NO idea where she gets it.
Austin and I were able to have some QT since Dad and Liv were out, and Ashley was sleeping. We did some crossword puzzles together. Austin loves them. He is a good speller and enjoys things like that. We did three; one about planets, Halloween, and soccer. Later we played soccer outside, despite the weather, and Olivia and Ashley ended up joining us by then. It felt so good to get out and do something after this long winter! I can't wait for the kids' soccer to start next month.
On the subject of gels, could you runners out there please help me. I tried this kind and it was disgusting. I am just trying some different ones out before my race in two weeks. I have never used any beans or gels or anything so I need some recommendations. I know everyone likes different flavors but what is easier to take? What goes down better? I found this completely unpalatable. I had to wash it down with like 16 ounces of water- I took it in 3 or 4 different shots, every 20 minutes. Can you veterans share your opinions? I would appreciate it.
7 comments:
I just copied your reunion pics to put on my blog--hope that's okay :) Could you email me a few of them? Thanks for going with me--I was glad we knew some people there too. Let's try not to wait until another reunion to get together, seriously!
Screw the Gu. Shot Blocks are rad! They are kind of gummy-ish, making them much more palatable. I recommend strawberry, black cherry, and orange.
Thanks for posting about the reunion! I was seriously almost crying to see you guys with the Goodman's and everyone. I so want to be there some year.
Good job with your long run. I don't think I could have lasted that long on a treadmill!
As for the gels, etc, I have gagged on everything in that category and have had to choke them all down. (And they seem to always give me bathroom issues.) I really like the sport beans. That way, you can just eat a couple at a time whenever you need them.
The poster for Ashley is too funny, I've never seen such a thing for a little kid. She is such a cutie, but I'm sure the lack of sleeping would try my patience too.
I need to work on our 72 hour kits too.
I feel foolish for not getting that thank you card to you sooner, but my policy (yes, I have a policy) on thank yous is that it's never too late!
I'm glad your mission reunion was so enjoyable.
We're having sleep issues with Jack for the first time too. Now I'm thinking it's their age. I have tried the same method of putting him repeatedly back in bed, over and over and over, but it eventually results in us having to go in and soothe him b/c he gets so worked up. Not to mention it's very hard for me to do physically right now.
The thing that is helping the past few days is that I convinced John to put a knob on the door that has a lock on the outside, enabling us to lock the door after we've sung to him and settled him in bed. After a few attempts he has quickly realized the lock prevents the funny business and he stops fighting. A few times he has fallen asleep there by the door on the floor. That means I go in and check 20 minutes or so after he's quiet and put him back in bed (usually this floor sleeping is a bigger prob at naptime). We're hoping over the next couple weeks he stops the effort to jump out of bed altogether. It's not the funnest routine! (Initially John thought it sounded very cruel to lock him in and refused to do it. Now that it's working, he loves it. And of course, we only do it if needed. I make sure to unlock it as soon as he's out so he doesn't wake up unable to get out).
I'm so sad I missed the reunion. Thanks for posting pictures. What a great mission we have.
I hope Ashley starts sleeping better for you. The poster is really cute.
Mission reunions are fun. I haven't been to one for a few years since last time I went I only knew a few people I've been unmotivated the last couple of years.
Hope your run went well on Saturday.
Post a Comment