Friday, November 09, 2007

America, the Beautiful



Wow, it's so good to be here. I can't describe how good it felt to finally get HERE. After what seemed an eternity in the airport, on the plane, getting through customs, boarding another plane, driving home, etc... we arrived at Mom and Pop's house. It's so comfortable, warm, and familiar. After a long hard month or so, I needed it. I needed to just relax, to crash.



At Brisbane Airport, waiting to board the plane. Only 13 hours to go!

Since some of you are curious, the answer is yes, the kids did well on the plane. Just as I expected, Austin watched movies and played video games the entire time. I know, frightening. I hope he doesn't sustain any brain damage. I kept telling myself, "At least he's happy". The girls did well too. I gave them both a Benedryl type of medicine (we weren't taking any chances!) and they both slept about 6 hours during the night, plus a little more here and there. The kids loved the 'presents' I brought and Olivia asked a record number of times, "Mom, can I have another present?" After I had given her about 5 things, I told her I didn't have anymore and if she asked again she was going to start LOSING the ones she had. Mom had tons of snacks, so that kept Ashley happy. So the good news is, the kids did great. The bad news is, Mom and I didn't sleep a wink. So when we arrived here in Utah, we'd gone about 26 hours with no sleep. It was 2pm so we had to press on until bedtime in order to set our internal clocks and get over the jetlag.



Here we are at SLC airport, waiting for our shuttle with our 8 suitcases

We drove home and were greeted by Jill, Landon, and Whitney. There were balloons on the fence in front of the house, a sign on the door, streamers in the kitchen and more balloons- red, white, and blue, of course. Jill had brought 2 boxes of Krispy Kremes and Lori had made chocolate cupcakes spelling out "Welcome Home" (a letter in frosting on each one). It was so nice to feel like everyone was excited for us to arrive. The kids ran to play with their cousins and Mom and I tucked into the K.K. donuts since we were starving! They tasted so good!




Later that evening, Amy and Adam came with the kids for dinner, and Lori, Randy, and Pop arrived home from work. It was just like old times. Olivia had so much fun playing with Megan and Tess.



Austin and Landon were back to their old ways- spying on the girls and playing hide and seek. We had some delicious Chinese food for dinner and hung out and talked. Mom and I cracked out the Cadbury's chocolate for dessert and we had some of Lori's cupcakes. Ashley loved them!




That night Mom and I both took something to sleep and it was great. I don't know about her, but the kids and I didn't wake up until almost 10 am the next day. It was a much needed rest. I was so exhausted. I absolutely could not have done it without Mom's help- she was my lifesaver the past 10 days or so. I know it wasn't fun for her at times, but she did it anyway. Thank you Mom! (And thanks Pop for sending her) It's so good to be home!!!

8 comments:

Bridget said...

I wish I could look that good after no sleep and traveling all that way. Having made the trip to Aust. once, I can only begin to understand doing that with 3 children. Crazy!! Glad you all made it safe and sound and you are enjoying some family time. Take care and get some rest.

Jill said...

Welcome Home!! It's so great to have you guys back for good. It was nice that the kids and I could be at the house to greet you guys and hear on the news. I hope you take plenty of time to regroup and relax after so much stress.

melanie said...

Welcome Home!! I'm so glad the trip went well. And I love that the kids just stepped right back in where they left off. Take it easy getting back in the right time zone.

Yeah for mom's and all they do!!

Elizabeth said...

I am glad it went as well as it did. Welcome back home!

Anonymous said...

Its nice to know that you and the kids are all well. Krisp Creams and cup cakes, wow! How are you going to top that when I arrive? You did put in the immigration application for me didn't you?
Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm there with you. Miss you all.

Jamie said...

Welcome back! I'm so happy to hear that things went well. (Don't feel bad about giving the girls Benedryl....we did that once for Harrison when he was two. Too bad it had the opposite effect. He was more wired than an electric socket. Aye yay yay.)
Anyway, I'm so glad you were reunited with your family.
Hope to see you next summer!

Amie said...

Welcome back! It was nice to see you at church. I thought I would get a minute to come talk to you but it didn't happen. I'm sure will we have much overlap in the months you are here!

Bond Girl 007 said...

wow Robyn can you believe you are back? glad to hear the trip was good, because sometimes they can goo soooo wrong. Good thing you slept soo long...that is the best feeling ever. It sounds like your family loves you and they were all so happy to see you.