Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tagged by Lori

Lori tagged me! I didn't think it would be hard to come up with 8 random things about me b/c I think I am, in some ways, an odd person, with plenty of random things to choose from! So here goes...

1. My nickname when I was younger was "Space Scab Shirley". Jill and her BF Betsy honored me with this lovely name when I was in about 5th grade b/c I was covered in scabs and I guess I picked them or something (maybe you could help me out with more detail Jill?)

2. When I was in 1st grade I fell and broke my elbow which has left me with what the medical books call a "gunstock deformity". When my right arm is outstretched, you can see that the joint has healed improperly and therefore appears like the butt of a shotgun. This makes for comedic lack of skill in any sport using my arm, such as bowling, tennis, baseball, etc. I have endured many years of torment and ridicule at family bowling outings! I recently enjoyed bowling with my own family, free from all teasing (ok, maybe just a little from Jared).



3. I love dough. I can eat so much raw dough it's probably medically bad for my health. When I was young and my mom would make cinnamon rolls or fresh bread, I used to pinch pieces off when she wasn't looking. I can still picture it, rising under the cloth in a big bowl... To this day I cannot resist at least one or two pinches of fresh bread dough. I know, it's kind of gross. I also loved tomatoes, butter, and chunks of brown sugar. I still love tomatoes but I don't eat butter or brown sugar with a spoon anymore.



4. For some reason, I hate carbonated drinks. I used to drink them in high school, so I am not sure when the dislike came about. At some point I just realized I didn't like the burning feeling of it going down my throat. It hurts my nose. I feel like I have to choke it down. (Sorry Lori, I know this is the Sweet Lady C). I always drink water. I don't even like juice or sparkling water. Just still, plain water. Sometimes it's hard telling people, "No, thank you, I really just want water" when they are offering me drinks. They look at me like there is something strange about that.



5. I cannot go to bed without washing my face and brushing my teeth. No matter how tired I am or how late it is, I can't do it. I have tried a few times but I always get up b/c I just can't stand the feeling of my face having makeup on it and laying on my sheets or that nasty taste in my mouth. Yuck. I cannot believe there are people who go a week without brushing their teeth or women who never wash their face. I knew someone like that. Never, ever washed the makeup off her face. She said it just comes off in the shower anyway.

6. I love exercise. I love to sweat. I love the tired feeling when I get all done working out or going for a run. However, even though I love it, it's not always easy for me to do it. Sometimes I have to talk myself into it, but I am always glad that I did. I hope I never, ever lose it. It's a great feeling knowing that I can walk up stairs without getting breathless or run and play soccer with my kids.


(A photo of me with my curly hair- since I don't really like it curly I rarely take them)


7. I choke easily. I wouldn't be surprised if one day I have some xray on my neck and they discover that something is wrong with it or there is some lump in there. I seriously have things go down the 'wrong pipe' all the time. I remember in 7th grade I was sucking on a tootsie pop and I started coughing. I COULD NOT breathe. I thought I was going to die right there in Mr. Serba's class, watching him stick his two fingers up his nose (Lori and Adam, remember him?) I choke on water, I choke on the syrup in chewing gum (you know, the sugary stuff that comes out when you first put it in your mouth?) I am sure I could choke on my own saliva. Mark my words, if I die one day by choking you will all remember this post! Ha, I'm just kidding!

8. I can be OCD sometimes. I used to be really bad. My friends in high school used to make fun of me b/c that movie "Sleeping with the Enemy" was out at the time and I was almost like that guy. I used to fix my bath towels if the lines were straight and matched up. My room looked like no one lived in it b/c everything was in place. Even in college I still had tendencies but now with a husband and 3 kids I have gotten much better. I can still get in "psycho cleaning mode" when the house gets too cluttered and I go a little crazy, but I am NOWHERE near as bad as I used to be.

6 comments:

michelle said...

Space Scab Shirley, huh? Older siblings can be so cruel... I tend to choke easily, too, although it seems to be a recent thing. So annoying. I think it's great that you love to exercise and sweat -- I wish I could say that! It's a constant battle for me.

Jill said...

Your elbow problem has a name? Gunstock deformity? That's worse than anything we've ever said. It's just funny really, how you have to align yourself up practically in the next lane so that your arm can throw the bowling ball down for a strike. Good times.

You must admit Space Scab Shirley is a great nickname! I named you that long before you were in 5th grade, I think it started back in California, when you were very young and scabby.

I can still picture you eating a spoonful of margerine...ew.

It always throws me off when I see a picture of you with your hair curly and dark, I never think of you that way. It's nice you have options.

Amie said...

Fun list.

I have never heard of anyone eating bread dough.... I don't think I will try it....

I had no idea your hair was curly.

Sometimes the "gum syrup" gets me too.

As the oldest mean sibling I don't comment on the scab thing. I am humiliated at some of the things I did to my sisters.... sad.

Elizabeth said...

Space Scab Shirley sounds like a Garbage Pail Kids Name. Remember those cards?
Fun things to read. I wish I had a little cleaning OCD. My house could use it right now.

Natasha said...

I did it! I feel like a freak now, but I did it!

Bond Girl 007 said...

hey I love bread dough...it has been a long time, but I did have it when little. It was fun to read your list and also with soda drinks...that was me backwards...I used to hate them growing up...I think it was in my 20's that I started to drink them...but I would stay away from them. I can go to bed wih make up and that is finally getting my dues...so I am horrified at the perspective of aging faster so I have faithfully started the habit. ONLY ONE WEEK so far...hey but its a start.....