Even though it was cold and rainy today, this weekend was pretty nice. On Friday, Mala and I took the kids to Currumbin. Ashley loved the little climbing wall- she is such a monkey, always climbing all over everything and everywhere. She and Caleb ran around while Mala and I chatted. So glad we're using our passes.
This was the beautiful sunrise at 6:30 am on Saturday morning at the beach. I met Natalie and we went for a great run around the headland at Burleigh. (see photo below). It is so nice to have a friend who likes to run and exercise like me. We are at very similar fitness levels so it's enjoyable. She also goes to the gym every day (not the same one as me) so we often talk about what classes we did during the week, what we liked, etc. She is going to a personal trainer once a week and is making such great progress. She was showing me her muscles and I was so impressed. I told her, "You've got to write down what you do with him so I can copy it!" She said they do lots of push ups, lunges, and squats. Nothing new- just the hard stuff. We'll be meeting every Saturday morning to run together. We'd like to do a race together, but there aren't many in the next few months. There is a triathalon in Noosa in November but I don't have much faith in myself doing a triathalon.
After Austin's soccer game that day, we went down to the same beach as a family. It was a bit overcast and chilly (about 60 degrees). We were all in jackets, it was quite windy. We walked down the beach and played in the sand, wrote our names, searched for shells, etc.
I love this photo of Austin and Olivia. They have been playing together a lot more lately.
Ashley plopped down in the sand and dug around too. She still tries to eat it now and then ???? I am not sure why she is still confused as to whether or not it is something to eat or play with...
When we were about to leave, Austin's ball got stuck in this big tree. Jared threw his shoe up to get it out and that got stuck too! Then he threw the other shoe a few times and got it stuck as well. (Yes, he is a rugby player... what happened to his throw, I am not sure?!) So he pulled the car up to the tree and climbed on top to get into the tree. He shook the branch and we were able to get all 3 items down. It was really funny and the people walking by were very curious why we had pulled the car up over the curb.
That evening we had Jared's parents over for a BBQ which was delicious. We actually saw them again tonight because we went to James' 9th birthday party at Kate's house with all of the family. We did pasta, salads, and bread, which was very good. I made my favorite baked mostaccioli with creamy white sauce. I have to say I love it every time. Here's the recipe:
1 pkg. mostaccioli, cooked and drained
2 c. broccoli, chopped and cooked
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced (opt)
Sauce:
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. butter
2 c. milk
1/2 c. parmesan
1 c. cheese, grated and divided
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 clove garlic
salt/pepper to taste
Melt flour and butter together in pan. Add milk. Turn up heat to almost boil. Add parmesan and 1/2 c. grated cheese. Mixture should be thickening by now. Add spices and garlic.
Mix the pasta, chicken, broccoli, and sauce in a large pot. Pour into 9 x 13 pan. Bake about 25 min at 350 degrees. Top with 1/2 c. grated cheese for last 5-10 min. Yum!
******EDITED to add- I almost forgot! Ashley went to Nursery today at church! WOOO HOOO! It was so great. She is such a gem. She went right in, sat on a chair and started playing with toys. I said goodbye and walked out. How great is that?! Jared checked on her a little later and she was fine. I went in to get her at the end and she was playing with bubbles and happy as a clam. They said she didn't cry even once. They also said, "She sure is a healthy eater, isn't she?" Oh yes, she is. What a sweet girl. I am so glad that she had a fun time and she enjoyed her first day in nursery. It made the last bit of church very enjoyable. *******
5 comments:
Ashley is in nursery! Woohoo! It's a wonderful moment in any parent's life -- especially when they stay happily without crying! Eva loves nursery so much, it makes church so much more enjoyable for us all.
Your recipe looks really good. I love any pasta dish, and a creamy cheese sauce never hurts.
The photo of Austin and Olivia made me do a double take -- I didn't recognize her!
What a beautiful weekend! The beach looks gorgeous, even if it was windy and cold. I'm glad you took a picture of Jared climbing that tree to get his shoes and such down, that's funny.
Olivia is actually looking tall to me, what's up with that?
Score on Ashley going to nursery, I really can't believe she's old enough to go!
I love that recipe of yours and haven't made it for a long time.
That little climbing wall looks like so much fun! I love how you live by the beach. That has got to be one of the best things about living there. Beach runs are so invigorating.
I'm going to have to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing!
I'm so happy you had a peaceful church-going Sunday. We still have over 5 months before Ewan goes to nursery. He was so wiggly and loud today, that I spent most of Sunday School and Relief Society walking the halls. :-(
Yeah for nursery age. That is great she went so happily. Fun to catch up with you. That photo of the kids is very cute.
oh that picture of jared climmbing up the tree is hilarious...and the beach...oh sooo breathtaking.
Post a Comment