
Well I knew it wouldn't last long... I went back to the gym this week and it feels so good. Let me rephrase that, it doesn't feel so good- a little sore actually, but mentally it's good.
It's been a few months now since I froze my account at Fitness First (the big monster gym here) and attempted to do it on my own at home. Any of you who have kids know how hard that can be. Kids just don't turn off. You can't just say "I need 30 minutes to myself". Even though I knew DVDs and fitness at home would be hard, I thought I could at least go for runs when Jared was home, but since he travels a lot that really hasn't happened. At all. I feel like I have added a layer (it's winter here so that's not surprising). I am ready to shed the extra layer.
I joined a gym called Fernwood, which is much closer to my house and it's all women. I didn't join, technically, I volunteered. Jared's cousin Elise works there one day a week for a few hours in the kids' club. In return, she gets free membership. I told her that if she ever heard of an opening to let me know. Now here it is, months later, they called me and asked if I wanted to do it.
Since Fernwood is a much smaller gym, the kids' club is pretty quiet. The first 2 hours today, there was 5 kids and we had 5 women working in there! It got busier after that, but with so many people working it's not too bad. The ladies who work there are really nice and for a FREE membership (worth $80 per month I was paying at Fitness First, plus childcare) I think it's a good trade.
So now I have to train myself to get up in the morning again. To workout again. To sweat again. Hmm, how did I get so complacent? When did that happen? It's so easy to slide into that mode of non-activity but not so easy to get up again!
This is a funny commercial for Fernwood health club starring Paul from Rove (my fav Aussie late night show) Did anyone see Rove on Jay Leno last night? I love him!
5 comments:
Rob, I'm so happy that you have been able to join a gym and only have to watch the kids one day a week. How many hours do you have to stay and tend? You are always so resourceful!!!
That commercial is so funny.
Score on the free gym membership, with child care. I think Jared's knack for getting free stuff is rubbing off on you.
That sounds like a great deal. Hope it keeps working out for you.
The free membership sounds like a great deal for sure! I enjoy women-only gyms. It is so easy to slip into inactivity and hard to get back into the habit, good for you!
Oh man, I know how hard it is to exercise at home with kids. Some days, it just doesn't happen. I'm so happy this all kind of fell into place for you!
Post a Comment