
I love this song by John Mayer. It was one of those songs that just spoke to me the first time I heard it. Lately I feel like singing this LOUDLY. My life is passing me by so quickly. I can't believe the speed it's moving in. How do I keep up? By that I don't mean that I am stressed out, but I have a long list of things I need to do and it seems I never get them done. When can I fit them in? I have been working a lot this week and that does play a part. It will be great once I get paid. I guess most of the things that aren't getting done can wait or I would make them a priority. My house has also been messier than it usually is. But surprise, surprise, the clean-police haven't showed up at my door to point out those plates in the sink or the crumbs on the floor. I have such a disease when it comes to cleaning. I love a clean house. I feel like it's symbolic of how my life is- if my house is under control, then I have things in control. If it's chaotic then I feel like I am a mess, life is crazy, things are out of control. Is anyone else that way? I don't think it's a bad thing, necessarily, until it starts getting in the way of more important things like spending time with kids, relaxing now and then (What's that?!)
I am a person who likes to be busy. I don't like sitting around. I find it hard to sit and read a magazine or even watch TV. I seriously ONLY watch TV one day a week- when Grey's Anaomy, Betty, and What about Brian are on. I feel like it's a marathon since it's 3 hours. (I don't really watch all of Ugly Betty, it's a bit soap opera/overly dramatic for me. Especially that woman in the white robe. Last week we found out who she is.) Anyway... I digress. I am trying to find the balance in my life. Learning to prioritize. Getting organized, doing what matters, seeing it all happens, wearing all the hats.
LYRICS-
No, I'm not colorblind
I know the world is black and white
Try to keep an open mind
But I just can't sleep on this tonight
Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?
Don't know how else to say it
I don't want to see my parents go
One generation's length away
From fighting life out on my own
Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
But honestly, won't someone stop this train?
So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game
To find a way to say that life has just begun
Had a talk with my old man
Said "help me understand"
He said "turn sixty-eight
You renegotiate"
"Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
And don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train"
Once in awhile, when it's good
It'll feel like it should
And they're all still around
And you're still safe and sound
And you don't miss a thing
Till you cry when you're driving away in the dark
Singing
Stop this train
I wanna get off
And go home again
I can't take the speed it's moving in
I know I can't
Cause now I see I will never stop this train
3 comments:
I love that song and pretty much all of his songs as well. I like the line about talking to his dad and him telling him at 68 you renegotiate. I think life is a whole series of negotiations with who we thought we were going to be at a certain point (where do we get those delusions in the first place) and with being okay with who we are at any given time. All we have to be is who we are right now, it would be so much easier if we could look at ourselves and say "This is me at 32" or "This is me at 38" and then go from there.
By the way, I watch Ugly Betty on the computer while I'm doing other things and that takes the edge of the soap opera qualities and turns it into pure entertainment.
That Karaoke experience it too funny.
Not having life pass me by is a big concern for me also. I want to enjoy everyday but also feel like I accomplished the things I should have.
I love that song too (well, all John Mayer really). I often have these feelings. Part of the challenge in life is embracing who and where we are right now. It's so easy to look back or look ahead and hope for things to change. Hard to love right now. It's a lifelong endeavor for me. (And I do have cleaning issues, big time!)
Post a Comment