
Today I had the STRANGEST experience. An awkward Karaoke moment... have you ever had one? Actually, it was much much longer than a moment, unfortunately. I went over to one of the soccer mom's houses to show her the Learning Ladder catalog from my party last Friday. (There were only 4 people there, it was pathetic.) So I was trying to get some more orders and she invited me over for 'tea'. I had a nice herbal tea and was completely unsuspecting when she started to tell me about her 'singing machine'. Before I knew it, she had the microphone out, the amp turned up, and was bellowing the theme song from Pocahontas! Seriously, is this happening to me? I felt like I was on an episode of Arrested Development or something. I didn't know what to do. Am I supposed to look around? Do I watch her face the whole time? Can I talk to my kids during the song? What is the proper Karaoke etiquette when you are sitting in an empty house with one other person singing and contorting their face and dancing in front of you? I know, weird. No, she wasn't drunk. I still don't get it. I had to sit through like 5 songs including Hanky Panky from Chicago, Madonna's La Isla Bonita, and some others I am trying to forget. I am still a little disturbed. How can I look her in the face again when I see her at soccer? You just never know about people, do you? At least she put in an order for $50. I guess that was worth it. Hmmm, I think...
I have been playing around on iTunes tonight because I am making a CD for Austin. He was so excited when I told him I was going to make him a CD of all his favorite songs. Here is the list:
TNT- AC/DC
Bye bye bye- NSync
Surfin USA- Beach Boys (I know, his dad got to him)
Lollipop-Mika
Grace Kelly- Mika
We Will Rock you- Queen
I Am A Wallaby- John Williamson (Australian Rugby song)
Monster Mash
Santa Wrap- Disney Christmas
LOVE- Ashlee Simpson (I am taking liberties with this one, he didn't request it but I know he likes it. He might get annoyed that there is a GIRL singer on this cd!)

She Bangs- Ricky Martin (he came to love this back in the day of William Hung)
Bingo- Skip Ewing/Big Kidz band
Advance Australia Fair- the national anthem, he sings it all the time since they do it once a week at assembly

While I was on there I downloaded "Nowhere without you" by Bob Evans. I am enjoying it quite a bit.
6 comments:
I'm horrified by the thought of someone singing karaoke in their home in front of you. It's comical, but you had no one there to witness and laugh with, at least you can blog about it. Seriously, what was she thinking? Did she invite you to join in? At least you she ordered something. Good grief.
Thank goodness she didn't ask me to sing! I was seriously preparing for what I was going to say. I mentioned MANY times what a horrible singer I am (which is completely true). It was REALLY awkward. I was trying to tell Jared later but there was no way to capture it in words...
I found your karaoke encounter to be laugh-out-loud funny. Thanks for the laugh. Thank goodness she didn't grab you by the arm and try to force it upon you.
I would have been horrified too. My in laws tried to get me to join in on a family karaoke session a couple of times. I was not amused. In this case though you ever feel the need to stifle a laugh? Definitely a great journal entry.
Wow, that is the weirdest experience I can imagine! That is one person who is who she IS! Sometimes I wish I could be that uninhibited. Don't you?
Where do people get this kind of confidence? I am feeling the awkward moment for you and I'm just reading about it. You are right, you will never forget it when you see her at soccer. Bring it up, see if she's proud or embarrassed. Kidding on that one! Good thing she ordered something!
No freaking way. That is so hilarious! I can see myself doing that when alone, but not with an unsuspecting, blindsided audience! Thanks for sharing, that really gave me a laugh today.
Post a Comment