
Sorry for the dramatic headline, but this photo was just taken near Sydney where they have had tons of rain and flooding the past few days. The road collapsed under a car and this is the aerial view. They are evacuating people from their houses. I am sure that 48 hours ago these people had no idea what was about to happen. Photos like this make me nervous. I have a strong dislike for this topic, I have to admit. I don't like to think about disasters. I don't like to think about floods, earthquake, rain, power outage, and the other potential problems that could occur in these situations, like being separated from my family, injuries/medical emergencies, etc.
D&C 38:30 If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear
We have about 2 1/2 weeks until our next Enrichment and this is the topic. I know that it's really important. I know that I need to do a lot more to be ready, as do most of us. So that is why we are doing this activity. We are going to talk about food storage, 72 hour packs (food and kits with emergency items), and first aid kits, etc. Now this is a lot to cover in one night but we're trying to make it interesting. We're going to start at Debbie's house (down the street from me) and stage an evacuation "due to flooding" and come to my house, do another segment, then have a medical emergency, which will cause us to move to Elise's house (next door). So at each location we'll talk about a different subject and hopefully have fun while supplying valuable information. That's the idea anyway!
Debbie has created a great poster to advertise the night. It looks like a newspaper with the headline that bad weather is on the way for June 28th. There are lots of quotes and other relevant items that appear to be columns on the page. The main thing is we're trying to motivate people to work on their packs between now and then (we started this about a month ago). There are suggested items to purchase, including price and location, like flashlights, water bottles, waterproof matches, etc.
President Hinckley taught: “We can begin ever so modestly. We can begin with one week’s food supply and gradually build it to a month and then to three months. I am speaking now of food to cover basic needs. As all of you recognize, this counsel is not new. But I fear that so many feel that a long-term food supply is so far beyond their reach that they make no effort at all. Begin in a small way, my brethren, and gradually build toward a reasonable objective” (In Conference Report, Oct. 2002, 65; or Ensign, Nov. 2002, 58)
I have only recently started buying more items to add to food storage. I get a few more packs of spaghetti or boxes of crackers every time I go. I need to buy more canned items and work on our 72 hour packs, however. It's good that this type of activity motivates me to get it done- I hate the thought of being a hypocrite! I need this just as much as everyone else!
If you have any good ideas for this topic- activites you have been to, something that you do, or have heard of, in regards to 72 hour packs/emergency... whatever... PLEASE share!
4 comments:
I always think that if there were a power outage I'd want a good reliable battery operated lantern in case we were awake. Flashlights are good but something that could light up a table enough to play a game with the kids, etc., or to eat by would be needed.
That sounds like a great activity. We have been working a lot more on it after moving to Hawaii. Even something as silly as the dick workers deciding to strike means no more toilet paper or certain foods to be found.
This sort of thing makes me feel faint, I just hate thinking about it. But it is definitely better to be prepared. Make sure to post all the good ideas you get okay?
We got a short-lived secondary calling in Emergency Preparedness in our last ward. It motivated my husband. We have our 72-hour kits, which I just last week finally transferred to a backpack instead of a plastic bin, and a ton of extra MREs and things like that in a huge tin, plus all the extra food I'm always buying at the store. I think we do pretty good, but if I had to go 3 months, I would be starving.
Post a Comment