
Well I have been very busy and quite slack about blogging because I have started doing some work from home. My sister in law, Lauren, has a friend who does transcription and other data processing from home. She has talked me into doing it too. She also has three kids and she says she just does a few hours a night (or during the day when she can fit it in). It pays quite well so I figured I may as well give it a try. One of my FEW skills is that I am a fast typer so I may as well cash in on it! I am kind of sub-contracting through Kristi since she has already set up all of the work with various companies. The best part is, the first job I am doing is on a website for personal trainers. It's right up my alley. Kristi has found it difficult since she's not familiar with the terms they use, but when I hear "VO2 Max", "range of motion" and "Osteoarthritis," I feel right at home! I actually haven't been doing transcription for this one, I have been summarizing and editing the courses they are going to put online (much more interesting than transcription). So, I see it as keeping up to date in my field while being paid! Not a bad deal. I have only committed to do 2 hours a day, so I will start there and see how it goes.
Isn't it funny how we lose some of our personality when we become mothers? I mean, how often do you ask the members of your playgroup or other motherly peers, "What do you do for a living?" or "Did you go to university? What did you study?" "What is your passion?" Many of us worked before we had the little rugrats, but once they come along it seems all that is just part of the past. I have been thinking alot lately about my interest in health, fitness, and nutrition and how I can incorporate it into my life as a mother. I really enjoy working. I love having something of my own. I know some women really love being a mother and it defines who they are.... but that is not me. Being a mother has many blessings and it certainly keeps you busy, but I don't want to lose that knowledge that I gained at university and I don't want to lose the passion and interest I have in fitness and health. It's just got me thinking lately.

I guess for now I can try to continue work like this. I always loved writing reports, researching different topics, reading articles, etc. Maybe this is one way that I can stay up to date in the field and even certify as a personal trainer through this website (maybe they''ll give me a discount!) In the meantime, don't know how much blogging I will be doing.
2 comments:
Score on being able to work from home, but that's kind of a bummer if it lessens your posting. I hope you make some sweet cash and get to shop more.
I hope you continue to get to transcribe (or edit) things that interest you alot like this one. Then you'll really feel like you are getting something out of it. If it's not that interesting you can focus on the money and type all the faster! Good for you!
Post a Comment