Sunday, May 06, 2007

The fabulous Princess Party



Yesterday we had so much fun at Olivia's Princess birthday party. I had planned and planned by looking at websites and reading all sorts of ideas for the party. There is a lot of info out there but it all pretty much says the same thing, from invites to games to party food. The funniest one though, was the menu that suggested serving "Royal melon" and "Royal punch" and "Royal sandwiches". Apparently, you just put "Royal" in front of everything and you are a creative genius.



We sent our invites out to 5 of Olivia's friends requesting that they attend the Royal ball wearing their finest gown. It was so adorable to see them all arriving in cute pink and purple dresses, wearing crowns, tiaras, and beads. What little girl wouldn't love an excuse to get all dressed up and feel like a princess? I made a special chair to take each girl's photo so that we can send it back to them on their thank you note. So we did that first so that I didn't forget anyone! Next we played "Princess and the Pea". I read the fairy tale, quickly, so that they understood the concept. We then turned on some music and they ran in a circle around 6 pillows. When the music stopped they dropped and had to determine whether or not they were sitting on the 'pea' (a tennis or ping pong ball) which showed she was a true princess. Each girl had a turn (with some crafty placing of the ball) and received a princess crown to show that she was a princess.

Next we made fairy skirts. I had precut strips of chiffon and tulle in varied colors and we tied the strips around a band of elastic. It was the easiest craft. Thankfully Mum and Katherine were here, along with Mireille (Taylor's mom) so we got them done quickly.



After that we moved outside to the patio to frost and decorate cookies. I had made purple, pink, and fuchsia frosting and we had sprinkles. They frosted flowers, butterflies, and stars. They loved that and went crazy with the sprinkles! After a few cookies they were ready for presents. I didn't even get to see them b/c they opened them so fast (some of the guests opened them FOR Olivia b/c they were so excited) but I know she got a nice book, a barbie watch, a hair beading thing, a jewelry box, some craft kits to make bracelets, some Dorothy the Dinosaur top/undie set, a backpack, glittery face stuff, hair clips, etc. Hopefully I can figure out who gave her what for thank you notes!



They were then ready to have their royal banquet at the little table. They all loaded up their princess plates with all kinds of good food- popcorn, tiny teddy cookies, marshmallows, fairy bread, chopped fruit, etc. I had found little plastic goblets that we filled with pink punch and they had a toast, "Cheers!" It was cute. All the girls got along so well it was great that there was no fighting or hurt feelings or anything. They seemed to just run from one thing to the next laughing and having fun.



They played the 'Pin the horn on the Unicorn' game and then it was time for cake. We figured out where to put candles in the Barbie cake, something I hadn't thought of.... and she made a wish. By then no one was really hungry for the cake anyway. It was so hard for me to cut it. It took me a couple of hours to make and then to slice it up and poof- it was gone. Oh, I will miss you beautiful Barbie cake. Hmm, was that for me or for Olivia? Not sure.

So the girls left just after noon with party bag in hand. I bought those little jewelry bags in baby pink and they each got a couple sheets of princess/fairy stickers, chocolate gold coins, little bubbles, and lip gloss. We missed our little girl cousins in Utah- Bella, Whitney, Tess, and Megan, two in Melbourne- Lily and Sienna, and one in Johannesburg- Emily. And of course Nana. It would have been so fun to have you here!!!

Click here to see all the Princess Party photos

10 comments:

Laurie said...

Your princess cake is a masterpiece and the whole party sounds really well thought out and fun for the girls. I love the whole thing.

Keep me updated if you switch to password. Do you have the email list from Jill?

Robyn said...

No I don't have the email list from Jill. Thats what I need to get. I may also change the URL so everyone would still be able to link through Jill if I do that. Thanks

melanie said...

The princess in the pea game sounds adorable. I bet they loved it! Her cake is so cute! I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try something out like that. Good job!

She looks so big in the photo by herself. Doesn't it make you crazy how slow and fast the time goes, all at once?

I am on Jill's list too (I think) if you switch to password. So keep us posted with what you decide to do.

michelle said...

So cute, Robyn! I bet they were all in royal heaven. The princess and the pea game is genius.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I just loved reading about the party and looking at the pictures. I am so sad I wasn't there, it just sounds like it was a little girl's dream come true. Olivia will be thinking about it for months to come! Barbie's dress looked so perfect, how did you do it? What a great mom to go to all this trouble for her!!

Elizabeth said...

That sounds like a perfect party for a little girl. Your cake did turn out great.

amy gretchen said...

Sounds like quite the success. I need to start planning something for Tess I just realized her birthday is coming up fast. Perhaps I'll steal your genius ideas. What websites did you visit?

The cake you made is awesome. It is hard to see all the work gone in seconds.

Jill said...

The party looks so great, you really went all out. The cake turned out beautifully and the girls look so happy.

Anonymous said...

You are such a GOOD MOTHER!!!!! You are the best!!! I loved the cake -- you did a great job little Martha! :) That sounds like every little girl's dream birthday party. She will remember it for a very long time I'm sure. You really are such a nice mom to do that!!! I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I laughed so hard at the "so long pretty Barbie cake...was that more for her or for me?" Very funny and yet...I can relate.